Sim 1 (S30)

Swope

Staff member
30th season!

Claim $5M for discussing and/or providing some rules that tanking teams should have to follow to keep structure in the league.

The Godfather

Tanking teams should have to win 15 games min or lose -3 spots on draft day

Starting lineup DC needs to have at least 2 (at least league avg) players...

Kings

Ty
No cutting players to sign players that are below average

no one with two C- scoring ratings or worse or F+ handles can be an option

10M revenue fine for 4 consecutive years of tanking

Foreman

1. One player minimum at each position
2. No cutting would be starters on your team, waivers are still okay
3. Salary floor not including cutbacks

brooks

Thunder
Imo the best route is a draft position penalty. Make it brutal too. Like, if you don’t win 15 games in 3 consecutive seasons, your lotto automatically falls to 13.

Nate

Staff member
Have a salary floor they have to meet. For one would increase trading ability as there would be some larger contracts out there on one year deals to move around.

yrtb

Wizards
Staff member
If you want to tank, you must register to have a CPU DC for the season (other than IR for DL). If you don’t register and have <30 wins, you forfeit your next available pick. Position rules still apply.

Additionally, if you fail to make the playoffs 4 years in a row, you pay a fine, and automatically get the 13th pick until you make the playoffs. Fines increase each year

Cut players go to waivers instead of a dumbass free for all

Hooper

Make a team register before the season if they're tanking or not. If they're tanking, they forgo their rights to submit bids in free agency for that season. Instead, their roster will be finalized and DC set as the CPU would if a team does not have a full roster going into CPU pre. They will not be able to make adjustments to that DC.

If a team who does not declare themselves as "tanking" is found to be "tanking" by Swope in an effort to circumvent the rules, they will receive the last pick in the first round and the rest of the league will move up a slot during the draft.

Tanking is too easy and rewarding. Tanking teams also sign players with no intention of keeping them. This eliminates extra value and takes the "skill" out of tanking, having all teams be at the mercy of the CPU. It makes free agents for those looking to actually win more attainable. It sets a level playing field for all "tankers"

Catdude

Eh I’ve never really cared for tanking rules. If they wanna do a huge tank, fine.
But if I’m suggesting one I guess it would be a requirement of a minimum of players per position so they aren’t just stacking up on all guards and no bigs.

notail

you need at least two actual bigs who play C/PF
penalties for not winning 20 games
hard to do with lack of GMs, but four year playoff or fire rule. forces you to tank max of 3 years and compete

Cloud

Staff member
Position or position group minimums are a must at a bare minimum. You shouldn’t be able to just roster 12-15 guards and wings, gotta have a couple of bigs at minimum, and ideally every position is 2-3 deep, or you have some sort of hybrid players who can be made to have an argument for legitimate playing time at other spots.

I think continuous tankers or overt tankers should be punished, decreased odds or reduced odds to retain your players in FA

Salary floors that don’t include cutbacks as well and can’t be used on clear tank guys etc

brooks

Thunder
If you want to tank, you must register to have a CPU DC for the season (other than IR for DL). If you don’t register and have <30 wins, you forfeit your next available pick. Position rules still apply.

Additionally, if you fail to make the playoffs 4 years in a row, you pay a fine, and automatically get the 13th pick until you make the playoffs. Fines increase each year

Cut players go to waivers instead of a dumbass free for all
This is good

Reactions: G9.

CLB3

I just think you should have to have a player at each position. I'm not against curbing tanking, but it's inevitable to a certain point.

Username

the best
feel like tanking is fine how it is for the most part. if you wanna cut all ur players fine, but you should still have to run the best possible dc for what you have on your team. that would be up to the commish's discretion if he deems it a bad dc or not while inputting. you also shouldnt be allowed to get away with not posting a dc all season, which results in a bad cpu dc usually

Donkey

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Lets go with revenue sharing. We're going to implement capitalism in this league. Take from the poor, give to the rich. You pay to be bad. In order to truly tank and afford to improve your players you'll need to actually compete for awhile, build up your bank, and then rebuild before your cash runs out. The worst team has to pay the best team like $25M or something. Easy solution.

Oh and get rid of cutbacks.

GB

Your Moms Favorite GM
Tanking is part of the game

prolonged tanking is the issue. I like the idea of like a “contract year” type thing. In the past I’ve seen that mean after 4 consecutive years out of the playoffs you are fired. That’s unrealistic nowadays but the same could be followed with a penalty in the form of either an automatic draft pick drop or significant fine or something

AiRuPtHeRe™

I hate the idea of cutting respectable players from tanking teams. Make the effort to trade them away. For example, Dame Lillard being cut. IF this happens, implement a waiver rule for cuts (for at least tanking teams)

Another rule may be if you’re tanking, your rookies/sophs cannot enter the DLeague. This will at least force teams to play their rookie and not RFA guys.

mngopher35

I like the idea of tanking teams being forced to use cpu dc. I think tanking is unavoidable and many good gms do it to the level they are allowed so this would limit the extremes people can go to. If you don’t use a cpu dc you can’t get a top 10 pick heading into lotto or something.

In terms of prolonged tanking there is nothing stopping a team from doing it year after year. You could add a penalty for tanking more than 4 seasons that affects the pick a team can get until they make the playoffs again (can’t get top 10 pick more than 4 years straight for example, anything past that and you automatically drop).