S19 Sim 6 S&U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eberlicious

For 3M

A polarizing topic has come across the league lately. Has Donkey hoarding draft picks affected the market outside of his trades and to what degree?

notail

For me personally I haven’t noticed my trades being affected and I’ve been able to collect picks so a no for me. But I can see for those people who owe donkey their picks are certainly affected because donkey doesn’t want anything but picks in return for the picks back. Basically defeating the whole purpose

FortsonBass

I think people are less hesitant to trade picks and trade with him but no real effect. Everyone is kinda waiting for RJ/Cole to leave the league to make big moves

Donkey

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am in my own bubble so the trade market for me has not been affected. In fact the deeper we've gone into this, the more picks I've been able to get for talent. Point in case trading Artis and Erving got me way way more than trading Nash and Kidd.

The picks are still out there, me owning middling teams picks and teams continuing to try to compete without having their picks is what is killing the trade market. Take the Pelicans for example, he could get his picks back if he wants, but he doesn't want to and just continues to push for the 8th seed. The Thunder could've traded for their pick but instead decided to piece together a team recently. I assume the Cavaliers will go the same route. Then look at a team like the Lakers who didn't have their picks. Instead of continuing to kick the can down the road and never get good, they accepted their fate and let the picks fall wherever. Now they have all of their picks, can draft top talent, and the rebuild is beginning. If more teams handled their situation like the Lakers, the trade market would be fine. And this isn't specific to me either, Henny would have traded all of his picks, and actively is trading them elsewhere. If I didn't have his picks, someone else would. That goes for all of the middling teams right now.

G9.

Pistons GM
I did enjoy trading a few futures for a pick in a recent draft myself to get Preston Purifoy. It was nice on draft day to be able to get a pick at a known cost, especially when you see someone you really want. During the season though I can see how it has affected the market. Most teams want picks for their assets and nobody is moving picks anymore. So many picks have been traded and yes, Donkey does have a lot of them, but I think the league in general just wants to chill on trading draft picks for a while. Even teams that do have their picks have seen the recent drafts (Artis Gilmore, Gentile, Erving, like 8 big men from last draft, etc.) and just want to hold onto them. I don't fault teams for wanting to hold picks when the top of drafts have been looking as good as they have been.

Eberlicious

I think Donkey put it really well. Honestly the only thing it really affects is top tier teams from trading stars to midling teams for some of their youth and picks.

Kings

Ty
It's a great strategy I don't blame donkey. But it definitely impacted the market for sure. Contenders don't have their picks to improve or rebuild so it stagnates the market. I also don't blame people for taking advantage of some of the deals donkey has taken for his lottos

hokeyrules

Smart play, but you can not deny it has changed the market, the only people who he doesn't have picks of are people who do not trade them in the first place. It's also extremely hard to trade back for a pick with him because he just wants more and more.

mngopher35

I do think it makes it a bit tough because a lot of competing teams ask/want deals but rebuilding teams want those picks and there are less out with multiple teams just having none (normally they have been competing so youth is from later picks/not quite as good or just may not fit what you are doing). It isn't impossible or anything though people have been making trades so I don't think it has killed the market it is just a little bit tougher to find those deals for picks/there is some warrant to what has been said. I missed most of the time he has been doing it and I can't blame him for taking my deal lol.

I bet a lot of people who are having some issues here and there finding a pick to trade have made a deal with Donkey/gotten what they wanted before too so it goes both ways if you already benefited from it. I have never been able to get a top spec like this out of the draft, even if I admittedly overpaid... I have tanked maybe 10 times now in BSL and nothing really (I wasn't good at drafting but am getting better lol), I am happy to have a star to try and build around long term and don't mind having a little tougher time selling off a piece or two tbh.

monta8curry

IDK, i just know i don't have my picks and seemingly every player on the market requires multiple picks to get. Is that because Donkey owns so many picks? possibly, but i'm not sure if he owns quite enough to be the sole reason that's the case. it might be more of a case of stronger draft classes, with a proven track record of later picks turning into players

Cloud

Staff member
It is undeniable that with the steipen rule in place that 1 team controlling that many picks does impact the trade market to a certain extent. It makes it much more difficult for competitors to turn into sellers, and in turn it makes it tougher for middling teams to jump into the upper echelon or sell off to become a tanking team.

Now, is it donkeys fault that these middling teams made poor decisions and mortgaged their futures to put together a team that wasn’t a championship tier squad? Absolutely not. Regardless of if he was enacting this strategy or not, there are certain teams who are always going to over extend themselves in an effort to compete because they are either too confident in a mediocre product or they are just simply impatient.

You can still make trades.... but it makes it much more difficult to do a traditional rebuild and makes most teams shift gears into re-tooling instead. I do think that this strategy has made people begin to reconsider the value of a 1st round pick, and I think that in the interim we will see a shock rebound on the trade market where people are much less likely to include picks in trades unless it’s absolutely worth it, and that, I think is potentially a good thing to come out of this. Some people are way too loosey goosey with picks.

Cheddar

I have no problem with what Donkey is doing. It is anything but conventional, yet is effective. He could literally become a title contender overnight if he chose to trade his assets.
With that being said, I think it is impossible for one team owning that many 1sts not to affect the market. Whether it is directly or indirectly, it has to. Teams who should be choosing a direction are stuck in the middle because of choices made in the past. I think the position that most affects is the fact that up until this point Donkey requires picks to be traded for picks.

the_jon

I have no problem with it. It has made it very difficult to sell off though. Nobody seems to want to buy. It's part of the game though dont see the point in complaining.

Scott

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have no problem with it mostly since it takes two to tango lol. If people were really that hesitant to trade or thought donkey was hurting the trade market then simply don’t trade for his picks when he makes them available on draft night lol. He’ll never be able to roster everyone.

Catdude

I haven't had a problem with it until recently. I am now starting to feel like it is stagnating the trade market. I haven't been able to rebuild for the past couple of seasons because Donkey has had my picks and he will only trade them for more picks (3 picks is what he's demanded from me) so it's been impossible for me to get them back. I have also noticed others having similar issues where they won't trade away players because Donkey has their picks despite the fact they want to rebuild. I think his strategy has disrupted the natural ebb and flow of the trade market.

Not to mention, it's an unrealistic strategy of tanking for 10+ years and continually passing up on keeping top tier rookie talent.

AiRuPtHeRe™

Don't care about the picks he has. Teams gotta stop being dumb and allowing him to trade out and forcing him to keep the picks. He doesn't have enough roster room. Teams like the Rockets sent out way to many picks to fumble the bag and has given Donk like 2-3 top 5 picks.

BeatsHaveADream

Indiana Pacers GM
although I dont agree with the hoarding picks and do believe that this is harmful to the trade market of the league, I am a donkey guy. he puts a lot of time into this league and if he wants to put a damper on the trade market im sure he is doing it for good reason

The Godfather

I dont mind "motgaging my Future" for a top 5 pick, or early on a useful player or 2.. With that said I made a couple of mistakes in trading with Donk or others that I wont or at least limit myself from making in the future

NCツ

It definitely has had an effect on the market and only two things can fix the market. 1) Get rid of Steipen rule or 2) Donkey finally contends and spreads "the wealth" by moving his picks to multiple teams across the league while building a contended in the process. Until then it'll be tough to sell as a contender and tough to take that next step as middle of the pack team.

Status
Not open for further replies.