Preseason (S28)

Swope

Staff member
For $2M, What's the biggest thing you took away from your team's preseason?

Also for an additional $1M, sway me one way or the other on why you feel preseason in necessary/unnecessary.

Xxplayerxx23

Biggest thing I took is harding is as legit as they come. He’s a monster at the 1 and the 2, Angelo’s still great at the 2 and Harris has volume 1-3.

PS is useless lol I know some people like it but there’s no need to have PS and sim 1 be terrible inputs for the commish. 75% of the teams just fuck around, I haven’t played Steph in like 3straight ps or a legit lineup lol

Username

the best
Bojan adds lost offensive firepower, my defense didn’t struggle much with him but my rebounding was pretty bad. Still had a +3 differential tho.

I feel like preseason is not necessary but it can prove to be helpful. Like now player knows Harding can do 29/7 and he’s still a top seed without Steph

Kings

Ty
Tyrese/Poole are both very good, Keels doing 21 PPG in 27 minutes is very impressive, but seems like we need some TC luck to take the next step. Even with no bigs they’ll keep us in games against mid tier teams

preseason is necessary for finding diamonds in the rough and guys overlooked. Gives you some flexibility when you have a couple different routes you want to experiment with. Although too many teams sit their guys and it waters down the competition while increasing the work load for preseason and sim 1

Nate

Staff member
Biggest take away for me is Agbaji has some volume and must have a pretty high Jumpshot. He shot 90 percent from the line. He also shot .477 from the field and .438 from three. Good splits. He’s going to be good. Also Diallo’s blowup in Tc wasn’t just visually. Averaged nearly 19 as the second option. A fun little player.

I’ll argue against Pre being a former comish. We get that little glimpse of things with the CPU pre as awful as it is. It’s way too much work for the commish with nothing in return. Invest that effort into Sim 1 and cut 2/3 days off per season.

Panic!

1. Josh Giddey will be a star. He has enough pot to work on his volume and it looks like he has already fixed his turnover issues.
2. Preseason is helpful to get to know where players need to improve before coaching is done.

Foreman

Rose can score with no issues even as a non-option. Mobley can play the SF decently enough if I ever try and go that route.

Reason for preseason is basically just to have the practice sim to see if what a team is trying to run actually works. It also helps some teams show off some guys who don't normally get as much playing time and can help boost the trade market

GB

Your Moms Favorite GM
We still suck. couple solid guys but we are way off from competing any time soon. Considering we are coming off back to back years of having the 2nd and 3rd pick it’s pretty whack we couldn’t get anyone even resembling the chance to be a stud.

preseason is a necessity to learn about young players. Sometimes cpu doesn’t give the younger guys minutes and these are guys thag are going to be camped and d league. It’s nice to see what they can do even in a medium sample size just to get a feel for what they need to develop.

Catdude

I learned that Coby White really isn't a viable SG. Seems like he really needs to be playing point. So I learned I just have too many PGs and not enough wings.

Preseason is a chance to showcase guys that don't get minutes in the regular season and test other lineups you wouldn't wanna just jump into with sim 1. It can help the trade market as well

brooks

Thunder
PP still got it as a PG, however he’ll be a backup as long as Marko is still around. Wish I had run cam at SF to see how much of a volume drop he experiences

Also for an additional $1M, sway me one way or the other on why you feel preseason in necessary/unnecessary.
Preseason is unnecessary and pointless. It’s a small sim, so any outcomes arent 100% aligned to how the player would play in a full season. Secondly, everyone is throwing dumbass lineups out there, so any results should be taken with a grain of salt. It just seems like a massive waste of time for the commishes. If people want to tinker with their rosters or figure out how good their rookies are, find a way to make it work during the season. Way too many GMs don’t prep their teams correctly as well, which makes it 1000x worse to input.

AiRuPtHeRe™

We are really pleased with Immanuel Quickley. 21/4/6 with only 2.1 TOPG in a very fast offense as 2nd option. Donkey always makes point guards turn the ball over at a crazy rate so happy to see Quickley may not be that guy. Nothing else crazy stood out. May start Nick Mayo at SF for his + rebounding at that position. Bench of Quickley/Shamet/Budinger/Zicic is pretty solid.

I think it's necessary. This is your time to play guys that may not play so you can really see what they can do. Allows you to also find a good DC early on without those Sim 1 scaries. If anything, CPU pre is useless but it takes less time for the commish to do.

notail

I didn't realize Garland's handles can get worse than last season, but it may be possible after the last TC. I've always liked his other aspects of his game, but his TOs will be hard to recover from. I'm hoping his pot can lead to some improvement along with handle coaching and he becomes playable since he can dish out the ball

I like preseason because you can see how backups/rookies or any non-starters are able to perform if they were to start. it gives us an idea of those players that CPU preseason do not play perform.

yrtb

Wizards
Staff member
Pre confirmed that Devin Booker has legit volume at PG, but that his handles aren’t good enough to play there. Also my rookie PG fucking blows

Pre can be useful for deciding which bench guys to give minutes to, or for trying guys out at different positions, but I think the input headache is not worth the benefit

Swope

Staff member
My biggest takeaway is that Ant is ready to become a big time player for us. With Ant, Fox and Brook, we're set up to a be a strong defensive unit. Our lack of flexibility and depth may be our downfall. We were also impressed with Dillon Brooks.

I get that preseason can be useful for seeing what some guys may be able to do but it's such a chaos time of the season with rosters that it makes for a difficult input....I don't want to see it go away but it can be a lot.

SoftLettuce

Biggest takeaway is that KAT is continuing to get better, and the Lonzo trade was just fine. He's young and a perfectly fine PG! But we also need help on the wing.

Pre is good because it's a free DC to see what your team runs best in. You can tinker with your TC with no repercussions.

G9.

Pistons GM
Biggest takeaway is that Jalen is ROUGH. His scouts were not amazing, but I did not think they were 10ppg bad. 10ppg as a top option in a fast outside offense is extremely disappointing. I'll mess with him over the rest of his rookie contract but unless he goes crazy in TC he's looking like a big miss at #1. At least Paolo is a turnover whore.

Preseason is necessary imo because it does usually lead to some early season trades. People can showcase players who they might not otherwise give minutes to. While this does not lead to a pure representation of players - most GMs still understand that and can make fair trades based on the info.