Free Agency The Good, Bad, and the Ugly (2033)

NCツ

This was a very mediocre class for free agency, I take a deep dive into the contracts that were signed on day 1.

THE GOOD
Karl Malone signs with the Jazz for $147,710,050 over 5 years.
The Jazz had to secure their franchise centerpiece, and that's exactly what they did. Bringing back Malone gives them stability and keeps them competitive for the years to come.

R.J. Barrett signs with the Wizards for $196,810,908 over 5 years.
The best player in BSL history remains in Washington. Last year we had an extremely flukey regular season with an even more bizarre post season, but now with RJ locked back up with the Wizards I expect to see him and Iverson lead them to the top of the East once again.

Zion Williamson signs with the Hawks for $74,242,962 over 4 years.
"He's not worth it" claimed GM NC, but the Hawks still made an offer to Zion and he accepted. A 17 million dollar starting salary seems more fitting for the declining superstar, and Zion fits a need for a Hawks team that is coming off a disappointing postseason appearance.

Nikola Ivanovic signs with the Heat for $61,800,000 over 4 years.
The most underrated signing in my opinion was Miami snagging Ivanovic. With Lecque still under contract imagine Ivanovic will slide over to SG for the Heat. His scoring may take a hit, but getting another strong ball handler and passer to feed Goga and Edwards will help improve Miami's offense this season.

Hristo Zahariev signs with the Pistons for $140,069,875 over 5 years.
Panic made sure to lock up the one draft pick he's nailed the past decade. Hristo Zahariev was max worthy and losing him would have set back the Pistons another 3-5 years.

THE BAD
Jayson Tatum signs with the Knicks for $32,545,859 over 2 years.
The value isn't terrible considering his age and production, but I don't see how he and Svet can carry this Knicks team deep. Just an odd signing to me.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas signs with the Nuggets for $90,770,000 over 5 years.
This is just bad because once again the Nuggets are over the hard cap. They will just end up giving Boston of Big Z away for little and claim it as a victory. The value of the contract is fair, and if it wasn't this signing could have ended up in the ugly column.

Evan Mobley signs with the Jazz for $70,300,000 over 4 years.
The only reason this signing isn't ugly to me is because it is declining in value over the years. Mobley can stretch the floor, rebound, and block shots. I would never pay him that much money considering the fact he has high blocks with C+ defense meaning his post defense is most like low.

Brandon Clarke signs with the Pelicans for $17,714,050 over 2 years.
Clarke has seriously declined over recent years and is most likely gonna take another his this TC. Clarke to me is worth a minimum as a big now, and the fact that he got multiple years and a little under 20 million dollars as well is just bad.

Zach Norvell signs with the Bucks for $37,156,300 over 4 years.
The Bucks are coming off a finals appearance and retain their core. They only had an MLE to work with and I would have liked to have seen them use it on upgrading their post depth instead of their guard depth. Who knows how much Norvell has left in the tank.

THE UGLY
Aidan Mahaney signs with the Suns for $121,202,238 over 4 years.
I see this signing as bad for all 3 parties involved... Utah, Phoenix, and Aidan. I don't see the need for signing Aiden for that much money when you already have Bogic and Sitnik. I think this is a huge loss for Utah, hopefully they can make a trade or Worthy de Jong can step up this year. Lastly for Aiden I don't see how he will excel in Phoenix. This just seems like a lose-lose-lose to me.

John Salley signs with the Cavaliers for $51,600,000 over 4 years.
Salley as of right now is at best a 6th man kind of big, and 51 mil feels a little high to me for his value. Maybe he still does have some pot to work with moving forward, but Cleveland hasn't been winning games with him starting next to Mark Williams, they could have at least tried to give Williams an upgrade in free agency.

Ja Morant signs with the Pacers for $19,130,700 over 4 years.
I get it for the meme and the tank, but 4 years beats? Come on man.

Matt Bouldin signs with the Nuggets for $37,156,300 over 4 years.
Ebbs was a believer in Bouldin and was let down. NC then became a believer in Bouldin and was also let down. Bouldin is now with his hometown team and the GM that originally believed in him enough to draft him (Jon) so maybe he will fix the narrative on him. But I wouldn't want this guy on a 4 year deal even if he was close B+ B+ scoring.

Vernon Carey signs with the Clippers for $36,900,000 over 2 years.
Carey once again is overpaid even if it is for only 2 years. I guess the Clippers are hoping to trade him because I don't see how he fits in with that roster at all.