2013 Off-Season Roundtable

G9.

Pistons GM
2013 NBA Off-Season Roundtable

1652379076293.png

On Free Agency

If you could land one free agent from this class, guaranteed, who would you pick? Why?
tyfreak:
Tracy McGrady. Dude is incredible, feel like he’d have a monster couple years with Chris Paul. Obviously I don’t have the assets to do that but T-Mac, JJ and CP3 would be an unbeatable 1/2/3. Very close to picking Tyson/Okafor as an upgrade upfront would really change the dynamic of our squad.
What’s your least favorite BSL Free Agency memory? Haven’t had a shitty moment this league that I can recall, maybe overpaying Richard Jefferson/Aldridge lol

Henry: Ricky Rubio.. not sure what the $$ would but he would give me a reliable solid PG that distributes and at worst be a place holder til we can find a better option

notail: Rudy Gay. I he's probably one of the top two-way wings with excellent defense.

hooper: Rudy Gay is the best player available imo. He's a future Buck either way.

brooks: It's either TMac or Gay... probably Gay due to his age. I've always shat on him, but with the cap exploding, He's going to have 2 years of great value due to him signing a 5 year deal now. He's reliable, but can never be that true #1 imo. Likely inflated D, as he's never impressed too much in boxes.

mngopher: Rudy Gay because I would want the best asset possible to flip for a PG and the other top players are a bit older

What’s your least favorite BSL Free Agency memory?
notail:
Losing to Damon Stoudemire? In finals game 7. Proving again FBB is a PG game. Coulda had 2 rings.

hooper: Rubio and Vaty asking me for a max, or Hokey not offering a contract to Wilson Chandler and GB falling backwards into him and calling it skill lol

brooks: Great question. I haven't had too many terrible instances during this current run in the league, so I really cant complain too much. Plus, my memory has turned to shit so I truly cannot remember any shitty situations that I ran into in the past.

mngopher: Honestly I almost never seem to make any big signings or lose anyone major in FA so not overly sure. There have been a few guys I really wanted/offered more to but didn't land but that happens to everyone. Picking teams is kinda like FA so I will shift back to NC taking the Wolves, he's still the worst.

Stays or Leaves?

tyfreak:
Rudy Gay, Bullets:
Stays
Corey Brewer, Grizzlies: Leaves
Rudy Fernandez, Bucks: Stays
Tracy McGrady, Hawks: Stays
Joe Johnson, Hornets: Leaves to create my first shitty moment
David Lee, Suns: Stays
Dwayne Wade, Magic: Leaves
Ricky Rubio, Bucks: Stays

Henry:
Rudy Gay, Bullets:
Stays
Corey Brewer, Grizzlies: leaves
Rudy Fernandez, Bucks: stays
Tracy McGrady, Hawks: goes buy maybe by trade
Joe Johnson, Hornets: Leaves
David Lee, Suns: Leaves 100%
Ricky Rubio, Bucks: Should Leave but Hooper going to overpay him so Stays

notail:
Rudy Gay, Bullets:
stays
Corey Brewer, Grizzlies: leaves
Rudy Fernandez, Bucks: stays
Tracy McGrady, Hawks: leaves
Joe Johnson, Hornets: stays
David Lee, Suns: stays
Dwayne Wade, Magic: leaves
Ricky Rubio, Bucks: stays

hooper:
Rudy Gay, Bullets:
Stays
Corey Brewer, Grizzlies: Leaves
Rudy Fernandez, Bucks: (please) Stays
Tracy McGrady, Hawks: Stays
Joe Johnson, Hornets: Stays
David Lee, Suns: Stays
Ricky Rubio, Bucks: Dicey, but stays

hooper:
Rudy Gay, Bullets:
STAYS
Corey Brewer, Grizzlies: STAYS
Rudy Fernandez, Bucks: LEAVES
Tracy McGrady, Hawks: STAYS
Joe Johnson, Hornets: STAYS
David Lee, Suns: STAYS
Dwayne Wade, Magic: LEAVES
Ricky Rubio, Bucks: LEAVES (FRINGES)

mngopher:
Rudy Gay, Bullets: Stay
Corey Brewer, Grizzlies: Leave
Rudy Fernandez, Bucks: Stay
Tracy McGrady, Hawks: Stay (then traded)
Joe Johnson, Hornets: Stay
David Lee, Suns: Leave
Dwayne Wade, Magic: Leave
Ricky Rubio, Bucks: Stay

On the NBA Draft

tyfreak:
Jokic or Giannis:
Jokic, Giannis was done dirty
MKG or Zeller: MKG
Bradley or Covington: Bradley (feel like we might see some more PG cheese with his quickness and handles)

Henry:
Jokic or Giannis:
Jokic
MKG or Zeller: Zeller
Bradley or Covington: Covington

notail:
Jokic or Giannis:
Jokic
Bradley or Covington: Bradley

hooper:
Jokic or Giannis:
Giannis
Bradley or Covington: Roco

brooks:
Your #1:
Probably Jokic
Jokic or Giannis: Jokic
MKG or Zeller: Zeller
Bradley or Covington: ROCO BABY

mngopher:
Jokic or Giannis:
Jokic
MKG or Zeller: Cody Zeller
Bradley or Covington: Covington

Who was the best #1 OVR pick in this iteration so far?
tyfreak:
So far I’d say it’s between Curry and LeBron. Curry might take that one pretty easily the way he’s developing. Elite all around. LeBron is filthy good too though.

Henry: LBJ

notail: Probably have to go with LBJ. The glue to your team should be SF and LBJ can do it all

hooper: Kobe

brooks: JONATHAN WALL DUH. But honestly, likely Steph Curry, as he's turning into the GOAT. It was a no brainer, but still a quality #1

mngopher: Steph Curry

Who was the worst?
tyfreak:
Hard to say because at the time Jamal looked like an elite prospect. He had some garbage luck in TC but it wasn’t a bad pick at the time. Same for Danny granger although I’d make a case that Lou/Lowry should’ve went #1, Granger still looked like an elite scoring wing.

Henry: Jamal Crawford

notail: I'm between Crawford and Granger, but have to go with Crawford cuz I don't' remember him doing much

hooper: Jamal Crawford

brooks: Wasn't around, but it sure seems like Granger was an atrocious #1. I'd also love to know why Crawford went #1 lmao.

mngopher: Jamal Crawford

What’s your favorite BSL NBA Draft memory?
tyfreak:
Several years ago I landed DeMarcus Cousins. Featured him at #1 and remember seeing 14 points, 5 turnovers lol. But my fav memory was landing Bol Bol a couple leagues ago, double double machine who could shoot and didn’t turn it over

Henry: Drafting Boozer at #3 but I think Drafting Capela just now at #4 will replace it

notail: Picking Harris with the #3 pick and everyone said it was a bad pick and that I should have gone with Michael Redd. LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT.

hooper: Winning the lotto and getting KD my first year. It was awesome for about 48 hours. Then it became my worst memory

brooks: DROSE FOR LYFE. It was a fun draft and chatting with Gopher as he was trying to decipher who he was selecting at #4. I was honestly fine with either of them, but had a strong preference towards Rose due to the high odds of him having ridiculous quickness. Now he's stuck in San Antonio as a perpetual 2-7 seed <3

mngopher: Jumping up to #1 for Kobe and being able to also trade for Pierce in that same draft, it was my first time winning the lotto after many tanks in other iterations and couldn't have asked for a much better draft to have two top 5 picks in.

On 2014:
Predictions for your team?:
tyfreak:
assuming JJ resigns, another season of beating up the tanking teams and losing to the elite teams. 50 wins again with CP3 putting up elite numbers. JJ falling off a little bit, AK getting a bigger role with Dirk gone. Probably a second round exit.

Henry: Final yr of the flattish cap, we are yet to add a few FA and a draft pick BUT with Health we should make the playoffs and put ourselves in a position to add some talent in the offseason with a few $$ contracts expiring.

notail: Probably tank to around 6-8 projected pick.

hooper: 53-57 wins, 4-5 seed if we re sign our guys. OR like 30 wins and a rebuild if we lose Rudy.

brooks: I fucking hope we turn it around. I was traveling during most of last season so I couldn't make deals. Think I've done enought (with a lil TC luck) to make some good progress.

mngopher: Based on this iteration so far there is a very good chance we lose to the Bullets in the playoffs for the 8th time or whatever it would be at now... Seriously though I think we might have a shot to win it all this year, especially if we can make another move or two.

tyfreak:
ROTY:
Daniel Theis baby (jk Giannis)
MVP: Curry
Finals Winner: Heat
FMVP: Roy

Henry:
ROTY:
CAPELA
MVP: LBJ
Finals Winner: Magic
FMVP: LBJ