Sim 5 (S20)

LukaSZN

For 3M, walk us through your three biggest mistakes this sim, explain why.

Swope

Staff member
1) Passing on a Deron Williams deal in my first few days of taking over the Rockets. Was trying to learn the market and didn’t want to do anything crazy early. The price was the current #13 pick, $20M and a future 1st along with expiring deals. Turns out Deron would go on to have nice TCs while I went cheaper for Eric Gordon.

2) Passing on Devin Harris…twice. Those same days I was talking trade for Deron, I also was talking trade for Devin. I believe the price was a tad bit higher for Harris than Deron but still would have been worth it. His contract was big at the time with a tighter hard cap number that was going to make it harder to build but a trio of Devin, Dwight and Kobe could have made some noise. Later on, we would pass on a potential Kobe-Harris swap that we would regret.

3) Overpaying for Harden. He’s developed fine since I got him but was really hoping to luck out with him becoming a legit combo guard. There’s still time for him to become something but he’s just kind of a misfit for a team built around Dwight.

Panic!

1. Drafting OJ Mayo over Paul Millsap - Millsap was obviously the best player available.
2. Overpaying for Gerald Wallace - Needed to trade assets to get rid of him.
3. Trading Byron Mullens for Luis Scola - Scola had way too many turnovers. Had to bench him. Mullens looks like a decent third big.

brooks

Thunder
1. Luol Deng over Paul Millsap in my second draft. Was new to the file and had no idea how barren the post market was. Clear mistake that can’t really be argued.

2. Probabaly moving John Wall to SG? The idea was to restrict his passing development by moving him to SG, while hoping his handles still somehow grew. However, his passing was the first to skyrocket and threw the whole thing out the window. Should have left him a PG and prayed.

3. Trading for Thad Young…. The second time. I thought it was a good opportunity to capitalize on a solid asset for a single future. However, Thads production had fallen off a cliff and he was no longer even remotely valuable at his price. Weird weird weird player.

Eberlicious

1. Trading Brook for Lou with some stuff around it. There was a universe that Lou was a B A scorer giving us 90% of current Kyrie. Obviously didn’t pan out that way.

2. Not maxing Wilson Chandler. Feels bad I lost him and then sent me into the rebuild, but honestly happy with my prospects so could be worse.

3. trading a wolves lotto for David Lee. Lee was awesome but I ended up losing him the next FA anyway.

Foreman

1. Trading David Lee plus picks for LaMarcus Aldridge and Joey Graham. I liked Lee at the time but LMA felt like an upgrade. LMA went like -5 on that contract after that point.

2. Not trading for Baron Davis when he was on Orlando. I eventually ended up getting him from Toronto, but Orlando's price was cheaper than what I ended up paying.

3. Not adding startable bigs to the Baron/Kobe/JR core earlier, which shortened my window. My bigs right now still aren't the greatest but they're still able to help my team in some capacity.

NCツ

1. Trading Ostertag for some young pieces + lotto pick Kwame Brown. Brown had 100 pot and a solid ish base, thought the salary consolidation and some good early TC's would benefit us, but not have us take a step back. It did not, Kwame went like +1 combined in his first 3 TC's, and we probably make another finals run or 2 if I hold onto Ostertag.

2. Not moving on from Steve Nash, should have tried to sell him for a better defensive point guard to pair with KG. The Nash/KG PnR was legendary, but we might win one of those game 7's against the Jason Terry Bullets if I had a better defender there.

3. Trading Christian Laettner to Henny. I traded Laettner when he could have been my SF next to KG. The SF position next to KG was a revolving door even during our peak years (LAphonso Ellis-Scottie Pippen-Ruben Patterson-eventually 1 year of Laettner,Latrell Sprewell). Holding onto Laettner would have provided stability and a go to scoring option next to KG/Nash.

hokeyrules

1. Trading my picks to Orlando - was super hard to get my picks back and kind of screwed up my rebuild by tanking then competing and back to tanking.

2. Trying to sign Wes Matthews when it was supposed to be Wilson Chandler - I mean I lost him for free so not really needed to explain too much about this

3. Trading my pick to Ebbs where he drafted Jason Terry. I actually was thinking of taking Terry, but I backed out and moved the pick, and instead he got one hell of a player.

Xxplayerxx23

Trading for Beno was pretty awful
Trading for deng when I was ready to win was brutal, deng really shit the bed
Getting impatient after a couple Tcs of Lopez not doing what I wanted and trading him for Duncan (didn’t win so wack) hurt.

brooks

Thunder
Trading for Beno was pretty awful
Trading for deng when I was ready to win was brutal, deng really shit the bed
Getting impatient after a couple Tcs of Lopez not doing what I wanted and trading him for Duncan (didn’t win so wack) hurt.
Sounds like you need to stop trading with me :)

Hooper

Think the process has been pretty good, there isn't very much I look back on and regret.

1. Bogut for Spurs first. Made sense for us at the time because we needed to tank but Bogut just kept improving.
2. Traded pick 7 and Nuggets 20-something to move up to pick 4. At the time I felt it was a great trade. But Saric pot died. Process feels right though. If I could go back and make that trade again and hope for a better result out of Saric, I would do it again.
3. I gave up 2 bad picks for Rudy F. Hornets 15 and Spurs 15 maybe? Still think Rudy is really good, and was really nice to tank with because he only scored 8 ppg inside offense at the SG slot and then was like 23 ppg efficiently with high steals at PG when we flipped the switch. But might have just been better off selling Turner and Rubio after they blew up than trying to build around them for a year.

yrtb

Wizards
Staff member
1. My first tank job was overall abysmal. I didn’t tank well the first couple years, didn’t draft very well (some bad luck, but still), and didn’t capitalize on my cap space in FA. Took way longer than it should’ve.

2. I gave up on Dame too early and traded him + 4 picks for ZBo past his prime. If I had waited another TC or two I could’ve gotten a better deal for Dame.

3. I should have figured out another cap fix than cutting back Pau Gasol. That said, how was I supposed to guess that he’d go from solid big to elite at 32.

Kings

Ty
Trading 3 picks for Iguodola - huge investment but he never panned as he could’ve. Looked like a potential elite 3rd option

drafting Aldridge/Blake Schilb. Both worthless picks in the lotto when I needed something next to Paul. Was dead set on picking Eddy Curry, but went with Blake since he looked like a fringe scorer at a position of need. Oops

bad contracts - lots of bad contracts. Had to give assets away to get rid of guys like Richard Jefferson. Peaked in that finals loss because of poor cap management when the cap stagnated for 3 years. Drew Gooden also comes to the top of my head

SoftLettuce

1. Trading futures for Monta Ellis and Nikola Vucevic, for obvious reason that I do not need to explain
2. Drafting Rondo over JR Smith and Marc Gasol over Sebastian Telfair. Just a couple of bonehead picks by a newbie.
3. Not selling higher and sooner on Granger and Mo Williams. Could've gotten a bunch more for Granger than two late futures.

But I've grown!!!

AiRuPtHeRe™

1. Moving Delonte West to Donkey in a 3 team deal where I got TJ Ford. Shame that Ford didn’t become better even though he had better potential. Delonte sucked but I should have figured donkey made him good.

2. Trading Latrell Spreewell for Steve Francis. You could argue that Francis was one of the worst players in the league due to his turnovers.

3. I could of had Gordon Hayward or Brook Lopez for Brendan Haywood at one point. Gordon didn’t look as good and I was more set on picks. Still too early to tell but I probably could have flipped Lopez for a better package.

mngopher35

1. Drafting Starbury over Rashard Lewis because I already had Kobe/Pierce. I also liked Hamilton but Lewis had two shots to boost I think
2. I should have traded Love early on his rookie contract when people were offering good players. I thought he was going to be better and with how close I was getting a slight improvement might have gotten a ring.
3. Drafting Jimmy Butler over Rose. This is another move that really set me back on this rebuild. Butler didn't boost then did nothing with his pot while Rose became a star.

notail

not just sitting on Devin Harris and selling low for CJ McCollum + a pick iirc. but given the fact that I was in no position to compete and with no teams buying, market was tough

Trading Eddy Curry for nothing pretty much even though I knew he was an elite inside scorer. His market is much better now

think I could have had Al Horford when Ebbs offered him for someone that was not my best player. Al Horford was not as developed now, but he was well-rounded big that I Could have gambled on

LukaSZN

1) I had a chance to threepeat and I got cheap on David Robinson. Someone else signed him and Terry/Allen couldn’t get it done without a big. Lost in semis that year but I couldn’t find a Robinson replacement and it forced me into the re-build.

2) Donkey offered me like 27 year old T-Mac for Rudy Gay a couple seasons in a row. It worked out ok obviously but when Player sent me home with 31-year-old T-Mac, I did think shit. Maybe Steph has 3 right now if I pulled that trigger.

3) Trading Deron to Henny for Beno, Nene, and a pick. Deron went +2, -2, -1 in three TCs with me and I got dumb frustrated. Watching him go +8 over the next 5 been sickening.

The Godfather

1) Trading Mutombo...henwas getting older but likely get to another Finals with him and the return I got was meh..

2) Deron to Orlando got me a ton in return for that Deron.. BUT the Orlando tc blow up Deron is super good

3) Trading for Griffith. that was more to get rid of Vuc 4mil salary than anything else but a 1st moved with the hope Blake turned into a late bloomer all he did was turned into a late bummer