Sim 1 (S13)

cavsfan817

Staff member

For 2m: This offseason we've had a lot of discussion about player rankings -- Who are the three most overrated players in the league currently? Why is this the case?
Bonus: For 1m -- Who is an underrated player that you can "sub in" for one of your three most overrated and they would give essentially the same, if not better, production for that role?
Edit: These do not have to be players from the top 15 rankings, although I'm sure that's where most people will draw from

Last edited:

FortsonBass

The 3 most overrated players in the league are Nene, Dwight Howard, and Mike Dunleavy. Not sure how all 3 received top 15 votes, but simply not top 15 players. Nene, don’t really need to explain much. Dwight Howard will always be limited by his inside scoring as his jumping rating is likely very very high, will be tough to shoot 40%. Mike Dunleavy is a very talented offensive player, but not a great defensive player that isn’t top 15.

As for underrated players who can replace that volume/role for each, I choose Joey Graham for Mike Dunleavy. He is a very similar scorer, defender, and makes far less $. One can even argue he has better option 2 volume than Dunleavy…

Last edited:

brooks

Thunder
Overrated:
1. Carmelo Anthony

I had him extemely high in the rankings. He's a great scorer, but his defense doesn't seem to match up with his letter grade. While he put on an offensive performance most night, the opposition seems to light it up as well. May be an issue with defensive settings and small sample size, but he's my #1 right now.

2. JJ Reddick

I have no idea why he is on a max contract. He is simply a low-volume scorer who gets his stats pumped up at PG. He doesn't pass nor retain the ball all that well. He's a 6-8 mil per year player at max, imo.

3. Every player on the Nuggets.

Some things don't change. Hank loves his players and hypes them up. Looks like their going to underperform this season.

BONUS
If air could move his contract, JJ is the top candidate here to be replaced. Honestly, Rudy Fernandez proved to be better than JJ as the cheese PG and is on a much cheaper contract. That would be my pick.

Last edited:

Nate

Staff member
Overrated.

J.J. Reddick
Very nice production in terms of points, but the turnovers man. You can't have your top scorer and point guard turning the ball over that much if you want to be successful.

Dwight Howard
I do like Howard, don't get me wrong, but is the production warranted of his ratings or a max contract? He's grabbing 12 rebounds and blocking two shots, but only 14 points. Going to be hard to pay someone max money.

Mike Dunleavy
Simply defensive limitations. That's it.

Honorable Mentions
Anyone on the Nuggets because of Hank.

Bonus
I believe it be easy to replace the likes of Reddick. Even if you sacrifice a bit of scoring to limit the turnovers, it would be worth it. I like the Rudy Fernandez example Brooks provided so I'm going to piggyback off that.

brooks

Thunder
Overrated.

J.J. Reddick
Very nice production in terms of points, but the turnovers man. You can't have your top scorer and point guard turning the ball over that much if you want to be successful.

Dwight Howard
I do like Howard, don't get me wrong, but is the production warranted of his ratings or a max contract? He's grabbing 12 rebounds and blocking two shots, but only 14 points. Going to be hard to pay someone max money.

Mike Dunleavy
Simply defensive limitations. That's it.

Honorable Mentions
Anyone on the Nuggets because of Hank.

Bonus
I believe it be easy to replace the likes of Reddick. Even if you sacrifice a bit of scoring to limit the turnovers, it would be worth it. I like the Rudy Fernandez example Brooks provided so I'm going to piggyback off that.
Boy you piggybacked off of more than that lmaoo

Hooper

Overrated:

1. KG. B-, C- and B- inside, outside, and rebounding. This is not top 3 player in the league material. Not even close. Didn't have him in my top 15.
2. Devin Harris: He's fine. There's probably better options out there though. Got a guy off the waiver wire who makes $3M per year who is higher scoring and handle rating. Not saying he's better because C+ defense is trash, just not sure he's top 25.
3. JJ Reddick: Not a max guy. Someone I offered like $8M a year to or something along those lines. Essentially get the same production out of Ridnour. He's fine and I'd take him on my team, but not for that contract.

Bonus: Could replace a bunch of these point guards with Ridnour or Francis and be fine. Especially Francis. Guy is gonna be like 25-8 or 9 for me. He'll have however many turnovers per game, 5 or whatever. But still about a 2.0 A/TO differential hopefully. And he's a ridiculously efficient scorer. I'm nervous with him / Ridnour / Gordon / KD we'll be a bit too efficient offensively to land in the bottom 5. But I also need to gear up for when I don't have my pick next season and Francis at $3M is a home run contract, and he's an insurance policy in case I lose Ridnour, who I also want to keep.

Xxplayerxx23

Overrated:

1. KG. B-, C- and B- inside, outside, and rebounding. This is not top 3 player in the league material. Not even close. Didn't have him in my top 15.
2. Devin Harris: He's fine. There's probably better options out there though. Got a guy off the waiver wire who makes $3M per year who is higher scoring and handle rating. Not saying he's better because C+ defense is trash, just not sure he's top 25.
3. JJ Reddick: Not a max guy. Someone I offered like $8M a year to or something along those lines. Essentially get the same production out of Ridnour. He's fine and I'd take him on my team, but not for that contract.

Bonus: Could replace a bunch of these point guards with Ridnour or Francis and be fine. Especially Francis. Guy is gonna be like 25-8 or 9 for me. He'll have however many turnovers per game, 5 or whatever. But still about a 2.0 A/TO differential hopefully. And he's a ridiculously efficient scorer. I'm nervous with him / Ridnour / Gordon / KD we'll be a bit too efficient offensively to land in the bottom 5. But I also need to gear up for when I don't have my pick next season and Francis at $3M is a home run contract, and he's an insurance policy in case I lose Ridnour, who I also want to keep.
My god

Xxplayerxx23

Overrated
1-Nene - top 15 vote ? Had to be hank so maybe silly of me to put him on this list but whatever he’s ok.
2- JJ Riddick- Hate to use him because others did but paid to be a superstar and the dude is so average it’s wild
3- I’ll go someone different, I’d say brendon Haywood is a little overrated, very good but I don’t view him as a top big in the league

underrated
I’m gonna go Iverson. He was the third best player on an amazing heat team and people forgot how amazing he is. He cut his turnovers down and a lot of people didn’t even have him top 15

guy I can sub in for Haywood would be pau and I think hed put up better stats. Maybe I missed him but I think pau was overlooked in the ratings too

LukaSZN

For 2m: This offseason we've had a lot of discussion about player rankings -- Who are the three most overrated players in the league currently? Why is this the case?

1) Joe Johnson: Look the league isn't hurting for volume scoring wings right now, especially the ones that don't defend at a high level. He's a dope player with great volume, I just think he's close to 15-20 than he is to 5-10, where a lot of people had him.

2) Rashard Lewis: See above.

3) Damon Jones, who everyone said was underrated a couple seasons ago but isn't a great playmaker and is taking shots away from the best wing combo in the league right now.

Bonus: For 1m -- Rudy Gay, I don't say this just because he's on my team, though, I am a shameless self-promoter. But A defender bringing 75% of the offensive punch, I think he's currently better than people gave him credit for in the rankings. (Only Panda and one other person had him in there.) Non-homer choice would be Chris Paul who looked out of this world sim one and Donk is much higher on than the field.)

Xxplayerxx23

1) Joe Johnson: Look the league isn't hurting for volume scoring wings right now, especially the ones that don't defend at a high level. He's a dope player with great volume, I just think he's close to 15-20 than he is to 5-10, where a lot of people had him.

2) Rashard Lewis: See above.

3) Damon Jones, who everyone said was underrated a couple seasons ago but isn't a great playmaker and is taking shots away from the best wing combo in the league right now.

Bonus: For 1m -- Rudy Gay, I don't say this just because he's on my team, though, I am a shameless self-promoter. But A defender bringing 75% of the offensive punch, I think he's currently better than people gave him credit for in the rankings. (Only Panda and one other person had him in there.) Non-homer choice would be Chris Paul who looked out of this world sim one and Donk is much higher on than the field.)
You gonna disrespect me and name panda as the guy that had him there ????? How dare you

mngopher35

1. Based on the first sim I am going to go with Tony Parker, not even 20 ppg and over 4 turnovers for a top 15 player seems questionable
2. I have no idea why Nene got any votes, it had to be hank
3. Wade isn't a complete bust but I also don't think he was deserving of any votes for top 15 either.

I think Billups for example who was rated lower than Parker has been better production wise so far.

The Godfather

Overrated-

Shard- I mean he is a 3 a solid 3 but he aint a top 15 player for me

JJ R-- Where is the Defense?? Sure he is ok and wouldnt mind him on my team but come on...

Shaq- Dont get me wrong dude is a HOF but now he is a shell of his former self-- would I want him on my team sure-- but NENE destroyed him in post season

Bonus-

I can defend NENE here cause you all making him a Meme... If I made Nene a Focus on Balance Offense he puts up 20+/10+/1.5 Blocks per-- the fact that his A- Defense is not Shot Blocking based but rather Post D based makes him a Neutralizing force at the 5 vs the Elite 5's and a player that outperforms most Bigs in the postseason...

GB

Your Moms Favorite GM
Reddick - max contract is gross should be on half that, not sure he qualifies for overrated after looking at responses though

Nene - lol hank voting for him is funny

Shaq - still awesome but don’t think he’s too 10 any more

underrated
Zbo is as good as any big in the league imo

NCツ

Shaq - fringe top 15 player now, totally washed

Rudy Gay - league is extremely wing heavy and he may become one of the better ones down the road. But right now I wouldn't even consider him a top 10 wing, so idk how he got top 15 votes. 4.0 TOpg too YUCK

Tony Parker - I was wrong in my player poll rating him as the top PG in the league, he's still top 5 but Deron Williams, Chris Paul, and Baron Davis are all better. I fucked up

Underrated:

Steve Nash getting zero votes but still casually doing 20/10 a game on the winningest franchise in BSL is surprising. Other names that should get more love: Chris Paul (stray would cream his pants), Vince Carter, Pau/Scola in New Jersey, and Rudy Fernandez

AiRuPtHeRe™

1. Kyle Korver - feel like early on he got a ton of hype. Think he’s been traded for some really good pieces in return but never really fits where he goes.

2. Dwight Howard - I do like him and would be curious to see what he’d do as a featured big. There were a few bigs ranked behind him that I think are better ATM

3. Tim Duncan - I don’t think he’s a top 25 player anymore. Forgot he even existed in this league TBH

Underrated: Dwayne Wade, think he’s a guy that people wrote off early on and he’s come along pretty nicely.

cavsfan817

Staff member
3 Overrated (not in a particular order)/1 replacement:

JJ Redick -- I get the vision to try to cheese him at PG, but he's simply just not that guy. He's a good shooter but can't defend at all, can't pass at all, and for having the ball in his hands as much as he does he doesn't really light it up in the scoring column either.

Tony Parker -- I actually really like Parker, but he's not an elite top 5-7 player like I feel most people think of him. He's close to that, but I have him more in the 10-12ish range. A lot of TOs and he gets lit up in boxes so I would guess that his high defensive grade is heavily based in steals. His saving grace is his elite shooting splits, but he doesn't take nearly enough 3s to really make those numbers translate to his scoring ppg.

Mike Dunleavy -- Again, another really solid player, but he isn't really special. He can score at a decent clip, but for his ratings I would expect a lot more. Very similar to Szczerbiak, but his defense and rebounding isn't as strong. I would venture to say that most people would have him ranked over Wally as well.

Cloud

Staff member
Steve Nash and Rudy Gay come to mind to me as overrated guys I haven’t ever seen the hype on. Nash is a black hole defensively at the main position you can’t really afford to be a total detriment at, and he isn’t prolific enough offensively to offset it. I’ve never really been a fan of Nash here. As for Gay, he’s yet to produce up to his ratings and he’s got a turnover problem, and the volume he does get force fed is inefficient. Lot of fluff in his ratings it seems.

As for a replacement on Nash I mean take your pick, there’s even guys like DJ Augustine and Delonte West putting up similar output

yrtb

Wizards
Staff member
Overrated

JJ Redick - Looks like a pretty standard mid volume 3&D guy. Definitely a solid player, but not a guy who should be on a max contract unless he had 25 PPG volume

Kevin Durant - I don't think most people overrate him, but the fact that he got a top 15 vote is ridiculous. Even if you take his potential into account he's not a top 25 asset

Dirk Nowitzki - I think he's really fucking good, but 6th in the top player rankings seems a bit high given how much the Sonics have fallen off - makes me think that Shaq was really the thing holding that team together, and his slight decline makes the team a lot worse despite also having Dirk and Hedo

Underrated

Rudy Fernandez is really fucking good and on a very nice contract