Sim 5 (S2)

Nate

Staff member
With a lot of attention on the Hard Cap as whole recently, if you were to be the commissioner, what changes would you make to the hard cap of this league and why?

3 Mill

brooks

Thunder
First answer no one can copy me.

1. eliminate hard cap and implement a luxury tax.

2. Actually enforce HC

3. Have increasing HC every season, helps with removal of cutbacks .

Cloud

Staff member
Maxes can’t rise if the cap doesn’t rise with them the entire point of a rising max is to be proportional to the cap, so… that’s one lol

Luxury tax where you can use cash to buy down your balance is pretty obviously needed since there’s no real use for cash aside from player development now and there’s no vehicle for financial maneuvering

Build into FA a check and balance that doesn’t let you go over HC with signings, half the league got screwed with that last season

BeatsHaveADream

Indiana Pacers GM
Honestly I wouldn’t make any changes. I like how we’ve structured the new league. Maybe put a way into FA so that teams cannot go over HC by too much or a priority to signings

BradS4President

Magicians
Changing the structure of FA makes the most sense so you can't go over the hard cap. Keeping the Cap the same i dont think is necessarily

Just Swaggy

In FA transactions will be voided to prevent them from getting to hc, because it would be hard to adjust since we don’t have cutbacks. Any other transaction can put you over HC so we can actually enforce the rule.

The commish whoever is running the sim that day must @ that team in a mention thread in order to get that team the memo that they are over HC. You don’t randomly get evicted from a place without a notice or a warning.

Next if are to have a Luxury tax we have make sacrifices for that team. In order to be in luxury you must pay a certain amount of gm cash lkke if you’re over 3M in hard cap you have to pay 3M GM cash, AND you forfeit your first round pick that year. Yes you can build a stacked team with HC however you will be paying dearly for it.

yrtb

Wizards
Staff member
Most of the obvious answers have already been said. I’d echo that a flat cap doesn’t work with contracts increasing over time.

Luxury tax is one option, but we can also add back renegs, or the ability to stretch contracts.

I also think we need the ability to prevent yourself from going over HC during FA. That might require some conditional logic, like “only sign any of these guys if I’ve missed on my main bird rights FA”. Might be hard to actually implement though

Snypes89

Been said but I would go with luxury tax that you have to pay gm cash. If you don’t have the cash then the penalties come into play.

mngopher35

I think we should leave it as is tbh and see what happens. It’s stopped me from a couple moves already but it adds another variable to the iteration.

As others have said flat cap is an issue with how maxes rise etc. so that’s an option if you want change. Luxury tax option using cash sounds kinda cool too.

Donkey

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As someone who wants less inputting, no changes are better.

So once again, I'd like to propose the random death / illness / career ending injury wheel. At random, one of your players might die in a tragic accident. Spice things up.

cavsfan817

Staff member
Raise the cap, have it fluctuate with stated increases and decreases, and make it so that cash has a purpose (renegs or buyouts, etc)

Hooper

Wouldn't change anything. People need to get good. Cutbacks were for bail outs and active GMs to be able to retain a ridiculous dynasty. League will have more turnover now.

Maybe I would add contract stretching. Cutback an expiring guy but you have to eat 20% of the salary as dead cap for 5 years so there is still a downside.

Nate

Staff member
I'm on team leaving it as it is. I like the way it is currently structured and that's not just because it's less to input.

The way it is now forces GMs to be more creative with roster construction. Adds more value to players on good contracts and I think as a whole, will add more disparity to the league.