Sim 1 (S41)

Swope

Staff member
Share some thoughts on the idea of a player agent for contract talks instead of FBB based random offers. The idea would be that you could negotiate a new deal in their contract year to try and find a common ground before them being able to hit FA. Basically a way for the league to avoid having to max 85% of their guys coming off their rookie deal and also avoids situations like RJ Barrett where high end players offer to play for free.

thoughts/ideas/pros/cons

claim $4M

Mzylinski

As long as it is all above board I say it makes sense.

it would also have to be broken up so that the different admins focus on conferences they are not in.

Kings

Ty
It’s hard to find a completely unbiased source but I’ve always wanted us to go that route one time here. Makes for a fun process of writing up bids and pitching ideas to players

Username

the best
We have two GMs and I’m pretty sure we would still struggle to commit the time to making player pitches or negotiate back and forth.

wouldve been cool when we were all still in high school tho

Hooper

Pro:
more fair contracts
kinda cool
more realistic
ignores greed

cons:
more work
subjective valuation on part of decision maker
ignores greed

Snypes89

I would be interested to see how it works the new way. Pro would be better contracts coming off the rookie deal. Con would be more work

yrtb

Wizards
Staff member
It seems cool in theory, but I think it's too subjective in practice. And there's a good change it would end up being a source of controversy. And it's quite a bit of work.

I do like the idea though of moving away from FBB resignings because it's very random and swingy. I wonder if there's a way to accomplish changing resignings in a different, but mostly automated way by building off of Donkey's FA.

notail

realistic nature is enticing but I don't know how it would work out to make it work tbh.

cons: sounds like it would be a lot more time consuming and potentially a bigger gap between better and worse GMs as this is another area where good GMs will take advantage of another rule

Hail2pitt

i Have watched it survive in 1 league (being and a complete and utter pain in the ass to be honest from the simmers point of view)
and i have watched it fail in 2 previous leagues that i participated in . Dont think that it is worth it to be honest.

BradS4President

Magicians
Remember doing this in a league a one time ago where we would email an agent with our bids and then there was negotiations back and forth.
The biggest downside is free agency ended up lasting about a week as it was time consuming.
it just adds more to the commissioners’ plate which isn’t ideal.

I think the idea is a fun one to ponder, but I think the execution and GMs not complaining would be a lot

brooks

Thunder
Far too subjective and just a complete waste of the commissioners time. FBB resignings are fine… it’s fair for everyone. You want the cheap players, trade for em.

Swope

Staff member
Just FYI, this wouldn’t be during free agency. It would be during their contract year season. It would be from an unbiased party as well and to be fair, I’ve seen it done and it’s not really that much work.

Swope

Staff member
the agent would take into account market value if comparable players and would obviously lean towards the best money offers. Also, playing opportunities and situations would also come into play.

AiRuPtHeRe™

I do like the idea, but feel like the free agency class has the potential to be even worse. Top guys would just resign more than likely without the chance of FBB allowing them to hit free agency.

What guy coming off a rookie contract wouldn't accept a max? Unless you throw in the hometown discount (which rarely happen anyways)

GB

Your Moms Favorite GM
the idea is good in theory but don’t think it can realistic be pulled off. Too much extra work on commishes and too many gms wouldn’t participate which would just give even more advantages to the better gms

Just Swaggy

Maybe we have like a renegotiate period before FA day 1 where the teams only offer bids to players with bids. Maybe if a player makes certain teams or is a top league leader they will demand more money or something like that. Hell, use the the greed, play for winner, and loyalty into an algorithm that the player will realistically want to demand from a team before FA day 1 and have team only negotiations before FA and after resignings.

Maybe just like how we pay for a coach we can pay for a player team agent. The player team agent has certain attributes like 50/100 for loyalty and 80/100 for getting better deals during resignings.

basically you pay the player team agent per year like a coach. He gets you +10% loyalty and -20% greed, and +10% in play for winner. Basically the commish would have to change the percents on the players that are free agent applicable and change the numbers for the player based on the attributes of what the player team agent can offer. Those get offered to all the players with birds. No complex algorithm I think this the best way.

Xxplayerxx23

Don’t fix what’s not broke. Pass. In theory idea is cool but people aren’t trusting. I don’t really see the need for this type of change