S19 Sim 1 S&U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eberlicious

For 7.5M,

Name the decision you've hated most made by a GM this file and why, and do the same for a decision you've liked the most.

Please put some thought and time into your answers for a 7.5M payout.

FortsonBass

I did not agree with Nate’s decision to trade Manu for Staten+. Staten is not a natural fit at SG. I thought he was better off trading Manu for a SG and Big starter level player+ picks rather than trading for a younger guard. He should’ve made Manu more available before moving him to the Sonics before he got the return he did.

I agreed very much with the Sonics move of Maxey and that enabled them to acquire Staten+ which became Manu. Ironic how both of these are tied together. They schooled everyone on how to rebuild.

Cloud

Staff member
As for decisions I hated.... I honestly thought, at the time, that notail moving Malone + for an ancient Barrett was such a bad call. I was thinking Malone is gonna be so special, and he just went all in on Barrett with nothing special around him and he’s got this tiny window to win, it’s never gonna happen. Of course, Worthy and Mobley emerge as seriously underrated players and they win the ship that same year, so that was pretty awesome. So I was wrong, although I’m a process oriented guy and not a results driven guy and I felt like that was a bad process with great results.

As far as a decision I really liked, I actually think I’m gonna take a different approach here on this answer and go with the Maxey for Nash trade, I really feel like the was the best blockbuster trade for both sides in this league. Ebbs got great value out of Nash and his team was really good for years and he got a top 10 player in value year in and out, a true franchise corner stone, and I got peak Maxey who won 3 straight MVPs and took us to at worst the conference finals every single year. Ironically, it was moving Maxey which then got us the pieces to maneuver for a championship the next year, so it worked out in a funny way.

Catdude

The move I hated was when Donkey traded the picks that turned into both Kidd and Nash in the same draft. There was just no reason for that. He could have easily traded Kidd for other contending pieces and built a powerhouse team around Nash. Look at Nash now, he's one of the best guys in the league.

The move I loved was the Pacers bringing in Barrett and Maxey (and Malone too I think?) before last season and creating that little super team in Indiana. It all happened in one offseason and brought the Pacers straight into contention. I think he mortgaged his future on a 2-3 year window, but I respect the move. It's similar to what I did a few seasons back when I took the Wiz to 7 games in the finals.

mngopher35

Since I missed a good chunk in the middle here I am gonna go way back to the start of the file for a decision I didn't like. I remember one thing more than others from when we started and that is how GS blew it up. I am not overly mad they blew it up but it was for like Jamal Murray/OG/Jarrett Allen and some picks from teams he was sending these studs to (already playoff teams). I remember being frustrated that there was such a large gap now with Toronto/Nuggets type teams adding top players cheap to start off the file.

This one is just a really obvious one since I have been back since it lead to a title and is Manu/Staten. I am not sure what Nate was doing but Cloud won a title off this move adding Manu to his roster. I also think the Knicks recent moves in general have put them into a great spot to contend for a chunk of years here. Not sure I would break it down to any single move, I think all of them together made a great overall team adding Rose/Pinero while keeping Ellington/Gilmore.

Username

the best
Move I’ve hated a lot was Hokeys decision to trade Hondo, I was tryna tell him that he won’t ever find a player that good again through the draft or whatever but yeah Hondo is a fuckin tank. Wish he took my Moser + offer for him, woulda been tight.

Idk what move I liked lol. I’d have to say that catdude getting AD near the end of his prime and making the finals 3 times and winning once or twice was a huge power move by him, very respectful.

Beats acquisition of Evan Mobley is up there too.

monta8curry

since i've actually paid attention, move i hated most was probably manu for staten, but it also might be because of recency bias. Already having mark price, warriors just added a redundant undersized guard who would thrive at PG, but not SG. then had to max him because of free agency. also G9 giving up all those assets for donovan mitchell which resulted in first round exits.

decision i've liked the most is pacers scrapping up their trade chips to build an immediate contender. ballsy move that didn't work last season, but they'll be competitive as long as they have RJ.

The Godfather

I can easily answer both of those questions with something I did --so as to not repeat a lot of whats been said

There are 2 decisons I think back on and hated the results.. One was letting my heart get the best of me and trading 2 1sts for Shai from then CLipper GM Cloud. To say the least those 2 picks could have easliy been put to better use. Ditto trading AD in his prime after winning the Ship. Not necessarily the 1st trade, but all the ones that followed-- If I kept Tatum and added to it we be in great shape-- a 2rd trade CJ Walker (could have been Scottie Cooper instead ) to Donkey really bit me in the ass-- CJ would still be at PF for me til this day,

Cloud's trading for Manu was very very good. Nate should have moved on Brad -- = production could have been found in a $15mil FA and a MLE for 5 and 4,,, Manu is literally non-replaceable -- Price/Manu would be => Hristo + Hondo as the best youngish/long term best duo in the league

hokeyrules

Move I hated was Donkey trading Julius Erving to Detroit. Mainly because he said he would finally actually try if he got the first pick, then he got the player to build around, and instead he is back to tanking with 15 picks in the next draft, kind of ruins it when he has that many picks, and his team is once again useless.

Like above, I really liked the moves that Indiana did to bring both Maxey and Barrett to Indiana, I know it did not work out for them in year one, but that was a great move all around, and Indiana is in great shape even though they did hurt their future a bit.

Scott

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Move I hated is probably more so multiple moves by Donkey to continuously trade top tier picks for multiple futures. He traded Nash & Kidd for more picks that have accounted for nothing. He’s been doing this for 10+ seasons now and it’s really paid off no dividends. We’ll see if he finally decides to cash in.

I definitely loved clouds move to ship off Maxey when he knew his team needed a change which in return got him enough pieces to easily acquire many who has already worked out amazing. All about knowing when the right time is to pounce when trading studs and trading for them as well.

yrtb

Wizards
Staff member
Moves I didn't like:

I didn't criticize it at the time, but not a fan of the Havlicek trade. The Cavs got some nice pieces out of it, but Havlicek looks like he could be the next RJ Barrett at this point. That's the kind of guy you need a king's ransom to trade away, and a perfect player to build around.

Donkey's pick trading circus. I thought it was funny at first, but at this point it's just annoying. Most teams have no trade capital in terms of picks because Donkey has all of them. It makes trading harder. In the real NBA, if a GM tanked for 10+ years (let alone 3-5) they would have been fired several times over.

Moves I like:

Not a move in itself, but it's been cool to watch the Knicks rebuild. When I first rejoined, they just had a bunch of assets acquired (mostly) through the draft. Seeing all of the additional draft picks and trades to now have a mostly young and dope roster has been fun. It kind of proves that there is no need to draft for position in the league, and it's better to draft for talent. At one point they had a surplus of young bigs with no playing time between Breshers/Dower/Walt/Gilmore, and then at PG with Craft/Harrow/Ellington/Johnny, but that was all fixed by trades.

Also again not a move in itself, but Cloud's wheeling and dealing has been impressive. He's great at maximizing value and retooling to get a couple years younger whenever players get old to always have stars in their prime. He basically got Manu for Maxey. Maxey is still dope, but Manu is going to be a star for 5-10 more seasons.

notail

Moves I did not agree at all with was with Cavs trading for Kuminga only to CB him and lose him next offseason along with trading Hondo. Didn't agree as he didn't go all in by doing that nor rebuild really.

Move that I liked and thought was good was Sonic trading for Manu as he led the team to win immediately pretty much. This move also set them up as contender for upcoming years

Eberlicious

I gotta say one of my least favourite moves here was when the Bulls traded prime WCJ for like fourth overall pick that became like Bonzi Wells i think. He did it because he was bored sure, but it was the first step to the start of the wizards period of domination. Also not a fan of how beats sold everything to contend for 2-3 years. I was excited to see how our teams stacked up since we both picked 4 lotto guys in back to back years.

One of my favorite moves was josh turning a stud Middleton and an at the time very useful Jrue into Tatum and stuff. he created himself a big 3 that had a massive runway and lead to several championships and he has never had to rebuild since.

AiRuPtHeRe™

Disliked Hokey trading away Hondo for specs when Hondo was still pretty young. Those guys don’t grow on trees. He got back Chris Jones and Cady but I think he’s already got better bigs than Cady anyways. Didn’t make sense.

Nets acquiring Hristo and Hondo was pretty nice. Went from being meh for some years to getting two big time players. still got a lot of work to do but he’s got the foundation down. Just gotta continuing adding to that core.

BradS4President

Magicians
Moves I Didn't like:
Donkey owning at least half of the picks for the next decade. Keeps moving pieces for picks and more picks and more picks... The hoarder of the picks.
Hondo looks to be very good and was traded for not too much by Hokey. Have to see what happens in the future but Hondo already tearing up the league.

Moves i like.
Sonics landing Manu was nice. Led him to the ship and is a stud. In addition, the Pacers landing Maxey and Barrett to create that duo is a force to be reckon with

Cheddar

Moves I didn't like: Cavs dealing Hondo to the Nets. I personally offered numerous times for Hondo and was rebuffed each time under the statement that Hondo wasn't going to be traded. He gets a long term contract that would take him through his prime and the Cavs deal him off to the Nets for some decent ancillary pieces, but no one who is going to touch Hondo's level of talent. To me, if Hondo is getting traded it either has to be an established vet in their prime who can carry a team or an absolute stud young player who you will build your future around. Ridley may end up being a solid addition, but I am not sure he is a corner stone.

Move I liked: I liked the Pistons moving a ton of picks to acquire Dr. J. Mostly because Panic is a pain in the ass and would probably shit a literal brick if he was forced to trade that many picks for a player who isn't underaged. For the pure enjoyment of knowing the amount of anguish he would experience for the trade, I enjoyed seeing that go down. Also, it was a solid move as the Pistons now have a bright building block for the future.

the_jon

The move I hated most on this file...well that deal we made with the Wiz recently was pretty bad. Easy for me to hate because neither gabe nor I actually wanted in and it was just a matter of miscommunication. Can happen when you're a co. As far as other teams, Nate trading Manu for Staten is definitely up there. Not only was it a terrible trade for Nate, but it most likely cost us a finals appearance.

The trade that comes to mind that helped both teams the most is Sonics/Bulls swapping Nash and Maxey. Sonics got a superstar hof type guy to lead them to a long stretch of prosperity in the West and Bulls got one of the best young players on the file.

Kings

Ty
Hated my decision early on to believe in Vuc/Bagley/Wiggins/Buddy/Fox. Had nice rebuilding offers on Bagley and Fox but watched them bust in front of my eyes. Had a couple mediocre 9th seed seasons with that team. Fox and Bagley definitely weren't it, and your best player being a 20/10 guy on meh percentages was never going to win here.

I loved Beats going all in around Maxey/Barrett. Think they still got a good chance at a ring. GB acquiring Nash was huge too, started a dynasty for cheap

Kings

Ty
Another few I hated was Nate getting complacent as fuck and not surrounding Price/Manu/Brad. Also don't agree with foreman middling for a decade+. Sell off and add more pieces around Lou. Letting Lucas walk was not the move either

LukaSZN

Hated myself trading WCJ to GB for junk, but no one would offer anything good and I needed a change.

Liked OKC going all-in to win two rings as all you fucks sat around touching each other

Status
Not open for further replies.