S13 Sim 4 S&U

LukaSZN

For 4M

Rank these point guards based on which you would want to lead your team for a single season at their absolute peak:

Jason Kidd
Gary Payton
Derrick Rose
Russell Westbrook

Catdude

Jason Kidd
Derrick Rose
Gary Payton
Russell Westbrook

Kidd was def the best floor general out of all of those guys. He'd be the best guy to actually lead a team. MVP year Rose was fucking amazing though too. And i'd never really want Westbrook leading my team.

Cloud

Staff member
Rose
Glove
Westy
Kidd

Don’t even think this is particularly close either

Cheddar

Depends, the roster would really matter. If we are going based off of our preference though:

Kidd
Rose
Payton
Westbrook

Kidd is the ultimate pass first PG, who understands the game. Rose at his MVP peak was unstoppable getting to the rim. GP was a lockdown defender, but also knew how to run a team. Lastly Westbrook. I admire his will and determination, but he is very inefficient. I don’t think he can ever be the PG for a title winning team.

cavsfan817

Staff member
Hard to say without knowing what the roster setup would be. My personal order would be as follows:

1. Jason Kidd - Definition of true point guard. Impacts every facet of the game at an efficient level and doesn't kill you with being a ballhog or being dumb. He didn't get his jumper to be consistent until late in his career, but I think he'd be the easiest guy to build around, and when he's playing at his peak I love his all around game the most.

2. Derrick Rose - Absolute freak at his peak. Feels like his team-building upside would be more limited because at his peak his range was limited. He definitely has the most upside off of this list.

3. Gary Payton - The Glove is one of the most underrated players of the last 30 years in my opinion. Absolute beast on both ends of the floor. Feels like I'm disrespecting him by putting him at 3, but I think his game would slot in as the 3rd best in terms of building out a team. Having a point guard who can lock up and simultaneously fill up the stat sheet on offense is massive.

4. Russell Westbrook - I don't think this one is particularly close. Gaudy numbers aside, Westbrook isn't, and has never been a leader. I'll pass on the empty calories unless I'm getting his absolute peak and my coach is someone like Pop who would force him to be a third option and drill some of his dreadful habits out of his head.

BradS4President

Magicians
Jason Kidd
A true point guard, that could defend and get players the ball in the right places. If he was a better shooter then i dont think it would be close. He would be first.

Gary Payton
A true point guard, that could defend and get players the ball in the right places. If he was a better shooter then, he may be number one on the list.
Would guard the opposing best point guard and run the offense.

Derrick Rose
Scoring guard over true facilitator. He was never the defender that Kidd or Payton was, so Ill put him slightly behind Payton. Like to have my guards be more of a facilitator/defender, especially as a coach at the college level so probably being bias here.

Russell Westbrook
Great at getting his numbers, but his lack of awareness as a shooter/scorer and his high turnover numbers puts him at the bottom of the list.

Mentch

Kidd - was never an efficient scorer, but had the best ability to run an offense out of all of these guys by a mile

Payton - definitely the most well rounded game out of anyone on the list and the best 2 way player. Personally he’s the guy I’d pick but I have to acknowledge Kidd’s peak was probably a bit higher

Rose - ridiculous quickness and ability to attack the rim, but not as much of a shooter or distributor as the other guys above him. Don’t want to have to build an inside out team in reverse so he’d be lower on my priority list

Westbrook - I don’t want my offense consisting of a bunch of isoball and elbow jumpers

Kings

Ty
I didn't see Kidd or Payton play at their peak so kinda hard to answer but I'll go with

Rose - His MVP season was amazing. Dude was constantly breaking down the defense and creating offense for himself and others. Get some legit shooters around him and he'd be lethal.

Jason Kidd - Payton and Kidd are interchangeable here for me but I'm picking Kidd because of his IQ, passing and shooting that he later developed. Watching him as a piece on that Championship run was a lot of fun.

Gary Payton - Probably a disservice having him this far down on the list but dude was a dog defensively. Pretty good distributor as well. Only saw highlights so can't speak on his game too much but Payton and Kemp was a fun duo

Westbrook - Insanely talented but I'm not sure how much his game translates to winning basketball

LukaSZN

Payton
Kidd
Westbrook
Rose

It's a silly thing to place an argument's footing on a single series but Payton leveled the field against the Bulls when he was on MJ. Probably only a handful of perimeter defenders that could've done the same. On top and probably due in part to his awesome defense. He remains a super underrated offensive player.

Kidd next because I can't deny the team track record of success but his inability to score at two of three levels consistently is a killer in today's game.

Westbrook over Rose for me. I still think Russ' athleticism and shot reached higher summits at his peak. Rose would've been better if he stayed healthy though, for sure.

AiRuPtHeRe™

1. Jason Kidd - not the greatest scorer, but does everything you want from a PG. passes, defends, rebounds. His scoring later in his career came around.

2. Gary Payton - he clamps most PGs in the league today. Can’t say I saw much of him but defensive minded PGs don’t come by often.

3. Derrick Rose - as explosive as Westbrook, probably a better shooter.

4. Russell Westbrook - not a winner.

GB

Your Moms Favorite GM
Derrick Rose
Jason Kidd
Gary Payton

Russell Westbrook

Honestly peak D Rose is much better than any other option, although his peak was very short lived due to injury. Westbrook is very very low on lists of PG's in history i would want to build a team around.

dwightcoward

Tough question.

All were bad shooters at their peak so it's very hard to build around them in today's league.

Payton is the best defender but he's now a little overrated because 1990s was the era of defenses and he could not be as good now with how the rules changed.

Kidd is also a little overrated. Was he better than Rondo or Simmons? Not even sure.

I'll go againt everyone else and say :
1. Russell Westbrook - great teammate, solid leader, great passer, I just have to surround him with effective shooters and a defensive big man
2. Derrick Rose - same kind of player, not as good as a passer
3. Gary Payton
4. Jason Kidd - there's NO WAY I win a ring if he's my best player