NC's 2036 Draft Watch List

NCツ

With the season coming to an end and the draft not being released yet I wanted to point out some key names to keep an eye on.

1. Julius Erving
Dr. J. I don't need to write much here as we all know who this NBA Hall of Famer is. I am curious to see what his outside shot will look like as a career 26.% 3 point shooter during his career. Probably won't hurt his draft stock at all, but you would imagine an outside offense wouldn't be suitable for him.

2. Rasheed Sulaimon
If you recognize the name, it's because he was a Duke Blue Devil for three years before spending his graduate senior year at Maryland. Never a star, but with over 1,000 career points, 40% shooting from deep, and his name value I imagine he could find himself taken in the lottery.

3. Josh Hagins
Now we get to a couple of NCAA tournament legends, first Josh Hagins who hit this (above video) crazy three to send the game to OT against Purdue (where they went on to win). Hagins only scored 13.2 ppg during his senior campaign, but had great assist:turnover numbers putting up 4.7 apg and only 1.7 TOpg.

4. Thomas Walkup
Our next March Madness legend is Thomas Walkup. You'll probably recognize him from his 33 point performance against WVU where his 14 seeded Lumberjacks upset the Mountaineers. During that memorable senior season of his Walkup tallied up 18.1 ppg 6.9 rpg 4.5 apg and 2.1 spg as a guard. That kind of versatility makes me believe he could be the white Scottie Barnes.

5. Isaiah Austin
The former Baylor star is well known for being diagnosed with Marfan syndrome leading him to not play in the NBA, but that hasn't stopped him from playing overseas. Austin put up 12/7 at Baylor, but was recently putting up 20/10 with a Puerto Rican professional basketball team before the season was cut short due to CoVid-19. My guess is that Austin will come into the draft with high potential.

6. Egidijus Mockevicius
My best guess is Austin from above will have the better potential, but Mockevicius will come in with a much stronger base. The Lithuanian had a legendary career at Evansville finishing 11th all time in scoring, and 1st in both rebounds & shot blocking. During his senior year Mockevicious put up 15.7 ppg, 14 rpg, and 2.8 bpg. This draft class has nome notable BSL bigs in Isaiah Austin, Joel James, and Prince Ibeh, but Mockevicius could become the best of them all.

7. A.J. English III
A.J. English III was a walking bucket at Iona. During his four years there he eclipsed to 2,000 point mark and finished 3rd all time in school history. He wasn't a ball hog though, he will come into the league as likely one of the top point guards as he finished his career 5th all time in career assists with 509 (4.55 apg).

8. Micah Mason
Micha Mason has Greeme written all over him. He will most likely come into the draft as the best shooter in the class. In college he took 671 three's and made 46.3% of them. He also shot 83.4% from the free throw line and scored 12.03 ppg during his career. His senior year at Duquesne was his best as he put up 18.4 ppg, 4.5 apg, and drained 118 three's on 47%/84%/42% splits.

9. Shawn Long
Shawn Long had an amazing career at Louisiana-Lafayette after transferring there following his Freshman year at a P5 school. He probably got kicked out of Mississippi State due to drugs or something of that note, and ended up at Louisiana because they live off of acquiring P5 guys from the transfer portal. Anyways Long was a STUD in the Sun Belt Conference. He had career averages of 17.4 ppg, 10.7 rpg, and 2 bpg with 50/68/34% splits and had career totals of 2,342 points, 1,447 rebounds, and 273 blocks.

10. Adrian Diaz
This might end up being one of the stronger big man draft classes we have seen in a while. Diaz transferred from Kansas State to Florida International after two years of riding the pine at KSU. During his two years at FIU he had averages of 14.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, and 2.9 bpg.

11. Jalan West
Jalan West has an interesting college career story. He spent SEVEN years hooping for Northwestern State. His Freshman year he redshirted. His RS-Freshman year off the bench he tallied 10.2 ppg, 5.2 apg, 2.5 rpg, and 2.3 spg. His RS-Sophomore year was his breakout season as he put up 19.4 ppg, 6.4 apg, 4.0 rpg, and 2.5 spg. He got even better for his RS-Junior year where he posted career highs of 20 ppg, 4.4 rpg, and 7.7 apg. Now is where things get weird for West's career. During his RS-Senior year during the season opener against Ole Miss he dropped 25 points before tearing his ACL. He was granted a medical redshirt to come back the following year. Well that following year he injured his knee again and missed the entire season, but was granted a 7th year of eligibility by the NCAA. During that 7th year he played in 8 games for NW State, but failed to enroll in spring courses and never played another game for them thus ending his career. IF West is healthy enough for the BSL, he will come into the league as one of the top defenders as we saw him become a 3 time All-Defensive team member in his conference.

12. Joel James
We've seen James have success in previous BSL leagues despite never having much college success. He shouldn't come into this draft class as a top 5 big, but he might if he's given the coveted A potential.

13. Zhelin Wang
The Chinese7-footer might come in as the top international player in the class. Wang during his 8 year career in the Chinese Basketball League has eclipsed the 20 ppg/10 rpg mark 7 times. His defense is going to likely need some work, but I could see him coming as one of the more polished post scorers and rebounders in the class.

14. Tyler Lewis
Lewis is one of the biggest frauds in college basketball. He should have never won Mr. Basketball in Virginia or gotten any P5 offers, but he did because his dad runs one of the top college scouting services and boosted his sons ratings like crazy. Lewis played 2 years at NC State and then 2 at Butler and failed to really do much at either place. With passes like the one above, could he become the next White Chocolate!?

15. Jameel Warney
Warney is another big man worth keeping an eye on this draft, like I said earlier this could be a deep class for post players. Warney was a double-double machine at Stoney Brook where he was a four year starter. His senior campaign was his best where he posted 19.9 ppg, 10.8 rpg, and 3.0 bpg.

G9.

Pistons GM
you really made it so I have to write about 15 players in the follow-up article