Nate's Mid-Season Power Rankings

Nate

Staff member
Nate's Mid-Season Power Rankings
I use a formula based on point differential, rebound differential, effective field goal percentage differential, turnover differential and net rating. From there, a ranking is given based on the standing of each category in reference to the rest of the league and an average number of the categories is derived. If you've played in any of my previous leagues this is the formula I used over the years in generating my power rankings there. If I ever am to do more than one power rankings per season, I'll add a "change" category that shows the difference of position between power rankings. For now, enjoy.

Categories

Above is the category and the designated numerical range. After running the formula and given the final rankings, each team's power ranking number can be placed in either of the categories listed above to see where they stand in the league.

Mid-Season Power Rankings

Take Aways
- By no surprise, the Washington Wizards are clearly the best team in the league. They rank in the top five in each of the categories used in this power rankings and top three in three of the five. It's easy to see that they are the clear favorites to win a title.

- The Orlando Magic, despite a near two point differential between the first place Wizards and them, they are not that far behind. The Magic are top eight in each of the five categories used and top three in five. It's just the turnover differential and net rating that sees them slipping a bit behind the Wizards.

- The Denver Nuggets and Chicago Bulls too are right there in the mix. The Denver Nuggets are actually top three in five of the categories but are 11th in turnover differential that has them slipping a bit. The Bulls too are top five in three categories and top ten in all five categories.

- The New Orleans Pelicans are an interesting team as they are first in net rating, second in turnover differential and fifth in effective field goal differential but rank 11th in point differential and a staggering 27th in rebounding differential. If they can find some rebounding, they may have a real shot. The same can be said for the Indiana Pacers who are second in net rating, fourth in turnover differential and top 11 in point differential and effective field goal differential but rank 21st in rebounding differential. The Brooklyn Nets are also a team with a great net rating and turnover differential and a poor rebounding differential. They just don't shoot the ball as efficient as the Pelicans or Pacers.

- The Utah Jazz actually rank 10 in every category as the Oklahoma City Thunder and Miami Heat rank top ten in every category except rebounding differential where they are both just outside the top ten.​