League Rankings Through 5 Seasons

Foreman

Here we have a statistical breakdown of the top teams in the league throughout the first five seasons. The highest weighted category is championships, but regular season success and playoff success are still accounted for. The numbers in the "Total" column is the outcome of the equation I have. I don't remember when I came up with this equation, or why I chose some numbers as weights, but I feel like it does a good job representing the league as a whole, and not just who has won rings.

Five Interesting Notes:

The Bulls are 6 points ahead of the Timberwolves, who are the next best team. That 6 point differential is the same differential that is between the 22nd ranked team and the 13th ranked team. That same 6 points is greater than the difference between the 2nd and 7th ranked teams.

2. If the most recent finals matchup went the opposite way, the Bulls would be ahead of the Timberwolves by about 8.5 points, while the Clippers would only flip-flop with the Nuggets. If the Timberwolves and 76ers made the finals instead, the Timberwolves would remain in 2nd and the 76ers would jump to 4th. If the Timberwolves won, they'd only be less than a point behind the Bulls, while if the 76ers won, they'd move to 3rd and be a little greater than a point behind the Timberwolves.

3. The Nuggets have the best regular season win percentage at 64%; followed by three teams at 63%: Raptors, 76ers, and Bucks, The Bucks and 76ers are two of only three teams who have a win percentage greater than 60% who have not made the finals. The third is the Blazers who are ranked in the middle of the pack.

4. The Timberwolves high ranking comes from having played in the most playoff games with 74 games. The next closest is the Bulls with 67, then the 76ers with 66. Playing in the most playoff games while also making the playoffs all 5 seasons and the finals twice got them over the hump of other teams.

5. The only teams to make the playoffs all 5 seasons are the Timberwolves, Pelicans, 76ers, Nuggets, Warriors, and Wizards. The only team to win from this is the Pelicans, so maybe sometimes consistency is just not good enough. The only teams to not make the playoffs are the Kings and Suns, and they are ranked as the 28th and 29th best teams respectively.

BONUS: Here is the formula for anyone curious:

Total = ((0.875*(5*Win%))+(0.6*((Total Playoff Games/10)*(5*Playoff Win%)))+(0.75*Playoff Appearances)+(1.25*Finals Appearances)+(2.5*Championships))