BSL Round Table: 2020 Off-Season (On the NBA Draft)

G9.

Pistons GM

BSL Round Table: 2020 Off-Season

On the NBA Draft:
Cole Anthony or?

Cole AnthonyPG186'4''185C+BC+C+C
Ja MorantPG216'3''175B-B-A-B-C
Zion WilliamsonPF206'7''285B+CCBB
Trae YoungPG226'2''180CA-A-CC-
Luka DoncicSG226'7''238C+B+B+C-C+

Username (Bucks GM):
Zion Williamson:
the only player I’d consider over Anthony since I’ve seen his production vs the rest.

The Godfather (Pelicans GM):
Ja Morant:
Anthony without a question
Zion Williamson: oh boy Draw
Trae Young: Anthony
Luka Doncic: Luka

NCツ (Hawks GM):
Luka Doncic: Rolling with my guy Luka, his pot is still good and is already an All-League player before the end of his rookie contract.

Cloud (Clippers GM):
Ja Morant:
Cole
Zion Williamson: Zion
Trae Young: Cole
Luka Doncic: Cole

Donkey (Raptors GM):
Ja Morant:
Definitely would take Cole, he looks like a stud and it's hard to believe he'll struggle volume wise like Ja.
Zion Williamson: I'll go with Zion here, I think a player like him is so rare whereas there are other Cole Anthony's
Trae Young: Easily Cole Anthony, who has so much more upside.
Luka Doncic: Again, Cole Anthony just has way more upside. He went one and Doncic went 3rd for a reason.

AIR (Suns GM):
Ja Morant:
Definitely would take Cole, he looks like a stud and it's hard to believe he'll struggle volume wise like Ja.
Zion Williamson: I'll go with Zion here, I think a player like him is so rare whereas there are other Cole Anthony's
Trae Young: Easily Cole Anthony, who has so much more upside.
Luka Doncic: Again, Cole Anthony just has way more upside. He went one and Doncic went 3rd for a reason.

The Jon (Warriors GM):
Ja Morant:
Without knowing scouts I'd take Cole Anthony because Morants handles are abysmal.
Zion Williamson: Future superstar. A steal at pick 2.
Trae Young: The jury is still out. He has obvious flaws but if he can correct some of them he can be very good.
Luka Doncic: Weird player. I think he needs to be developed at pg but that will hurt his rebounding so it's a tough call. But potentially a star.

G9. (Mavericks GM):
Ja Morant:
Cole Anthony. Looks like Morant has some fatal flaws and it’s going to take him some time to find the right FBB fit. Whereas Anthony could fit in most any system.
Zion Williamson: I like Zion here. The man is a two way stud already and can rotate around the depth chart and hold his own. Would be more fun to mess w/ than Cole.
Trae Young: Cole here. Looks like he could take leaps above Trae.
Luka Doncic: Still going with Cole. Trae and Luka both had abysmal defense when the league began. I don’t think I can look past that.

Would you rather get the #1 overall pick or win one guaranteed BSL Championship? Why?

Username (Bucks GM):
#1 overall, or at least a top 2-3 pick in a good draft will do. Having the top pick gives you the best chance to draft a star player to build around, they will most likely be with you for their next 9+ years unless you trade them or you suck. We’ve seen people repeat, three peat, with teams built around a stud. I’d take my chances seeing if I can do that rather than a guaranteed 1 out of a possible 30+ seasons.

Championship..we ain't playing for 1st pick.. Lotto 1st is 80% luck..Ship is 20% luck 80% skill..nobody cares about who drafted who #1. Everyone cares about the ring(s).

NCツ (Hawks GM):

Win a BSL Championship for sure. I have one title and I worked extremely hard for that one, but I know I will need to work even harder for the next one.

Cloud (Clippers GM):
Gotta take the rings when you can get them, you just never know when you're going to get those chances again. #1 pick is super exciting but it can also end up being major heartbreak when expectations fall short.

Donkey (Raptors GM):
Honestly for me it depends where I'm at in the league. Early in the league it's way better to get #1 overall and get a supremely talented prospect to build around for many years in the league. Making your own team like that just feels so much more rewarding. For the rest of the league I'd easily take one guaranteed ship. No matter how good your team is, there is a randomness to the game that just makes it so hard to win. Rings become more and more rewarding as we go.

AIR (Suns GM):
For me, I'd rather get a guarenteed BSL championship because I don't have one yet LOL. #1 overall pick is fun, but if you pick a bust it kind of sets you back for a few years. A guaranteed ship would take the monkey off my back.

The Jon (Warriors GM):
Depends on which draft we are talking. In a draft where pick 1 is an obvious star I will take that. Always confident I can win ships if I have a bigtime centerpiece to build around.

G9. (Mavericks GM):
Think I’d take the #1 overall pick. Assuming I have the cash to spend on scouts and it’s a draft with at least 1 guaranteed hall of famer, I think it’d be wise to take him. Once you have the guaranteed superstar it’s a lot easier to build a team. Knowing you have that number one option, defensive stop gap, etc. With that #1 pick and proper GM’ing you could go on to win at least one, perhaps two, three, etc. etc. rings.

What are your favorite and least favorite BSL Draft memories?

Username (Bucks GM):
Favorite:
“Ahhhh here we go, everyone knows by now how I ended up with my favorite player of all time. I was #1 projected overall in the Kareem Abdul-Jabber draft, it was gonna be lit as fuck once I won lotto and there was no way I’d drop, however, the FBB gods didn’t see things quite the same way as I did. I fell 3 spots, to 4. All the way to 4. This was a one man draft if we’d ever seen one, with a couple other “okay” looking specs. I took a chance on the 18 year old Lucius Allen who came in with C+ C- C B- D A ratings. The guy had heart and went hard every single offseason until he became the MVP and single handedly won me a ring. And then we restarted.”

Least Favorite: I fall every time I’m #1 projected except in shitty drafts…

Favorite:
In a sadistic way watching cloud get screwed while being the absolute best tanker these last 2 drafts..i find it entertaining I am sure he doesn't...

Least Favorite: Jumping to #2 and missing Wilt to a team that jumped 10 spots..

NCツ (Hawks GM):
Favorite:
ROMAN RUBENSHTEYN or whatever his name was a league or two ago. I enjoy drafting and with proper time to prep I usually draft pretty well imo. Roman was a guy that I spotted with MAPLESCOUTING having tons or fringes as a SG. I moved him to PG and he blew up into a 18 ppg 8 apg point guard with good defense and rebounding. On draft day he was the least exciting player ever he was like C C C C C- and the bold categories were all fringe.

Least Favorite: Probably trading for multiple of players future under the table picks, they were never worth it.

Cloud (Clippers GM):
Favorite:
Temple Gibbs to the 76ers :)

Least Favorite: Bol Bol busting for me last league despite having everything going for him heading into TC. Also foreman winning the lotto last season was bullshit.

Donkey (Raptors GM):
Favorite:
Honestly I haven't had a lot of amazing draft memories. I could look at Alex Legion who I loved and I hyped until the end. He wasn't even good but I started to believe my own bullshit up until I traded him. Or it could be when I drafted B.J. Stith a couple leagues ago and proceeded to sign all the players with B.J. as their first name. I've had quite a few steals in the late first and even second too, nothing else is really sticking out for me right now though.

Least Favorite:Definitely a couple leagues ago where I picked Naz Reid very early, I want to say it was a top 5 pick. That man just never developed. And the little he ended up developing was in handles and he just looked so stupid. And for someone who makes the drafts, that was such a bonehead pick. That guy is the absolute worst, I don't want him in any league ever again.

AIR (Suns GM):
Favorite:
I would say the Wilt Chamberlain draft. We had the #9 odds and I fell asleep during playoffs. Woke up, and saw my phone had tons of notifications and I had won the lotto. Ended up taking Wilt #1 and dealt with a lot of hate while I had him. It's a shame the league ended because Wilt was just ridiculous. 25/15 and 3 blocks is just a stat stuffer.

Least Favorite: Trading Tiny Archibald for Stefan Moody on draft day. I thought Moody was going to be a fantasic scorer, but I learned his type of play isn't great. Tiny Archibald was the best point guard in the league at the time and I got bored with the team. Stefan Moody did have an all-star year, but his passing really held us back while we had other pieces on the team. Another is drafting Rawle Alkins. We were a tanking team who had drafted Justice Winslow, Svi Myk and another player (Believe it was a big man.) Rawle was also taken one of those years and it really set us back from success.

The Jon (Warriors GM):
Favorite:
My first draft. Getting Rick Barry at 1 as well a future star with Jonathan Kasibabu. And on top of that future studs like Paul Silas and Przemyslaw Zolnierewicz (I still remember the proper spelling lol). Also drafted Art Becker with the 1st pick of round 2 and he had a nice career. Possibly the greatest draft anyone has ever had in this league.

Least Favorite: Any draft where I dropped from 1 to 4 and ended up getting a very meh prospect while the guys ahead of me are getting stars. That always hurts.

G9. (Mavericks GM):
Favorite:
Honestly I’m somewhat confused about the timeline but you’ll know which league I’m talking about when I say my favorite was Moses Brown. I’m fairly certain it was two leagues ago. I had #9, Donkey had #8. I traded #9 and a future for #8 to grab Moses Brown because I was sick of tanking and Moses looked like a much better prospect than the potential 9 guy I was eyeing. Moses blew up in consecutive TC’s and became a staple on our team. He wasn’t a hall-of-famer or MVP during his years with me but he was far and away my favorite draftee.

Least Favorite: Air just mentioned Rawle Alkins. I hate that guy. I must’ve drafted him in the league prior, or perhaps two leagues prior to Air drafting him. He came in at 18 with C+ B- C B- attributes and solid potential. The kind of SG prospect who you would expect to turn into B A- C A- with proper development and TC luck. Instead Alkins stayed at C+ B- C B- until he was 22 and at the end of his rookie contract. He went -1 in his 5th TC and exited the league at C+ C+ C B-. Worst 7th overall pick ever.

Cloud

Staff member
Payouts:

G9 - $5M
Donkey - $4.5M
Cloud - $3.5M
NC - $3.5M
Air - $3.5M
Jon - $3M
GF - $3M
Username - $2.5M