2040 FA Day Two (w/Fortson)

monta8curry

2040 FREE AGENCY -- DAY TWO GRADES
w/FortsonBass
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaldas Zabas signs with the Nets for $4,811,713 over 2 years.
Monta
: B-
Fortson: A-

Monta: Zabas is a little old for my liking to offer a two-year contract, and after rough training camp, he looks borderline unplayable due to his deteriorating level of offensive production.

Fortson: Zabas is a capable and proven back-up PG in the league. The Nets had to replace Dawkins and Zabas is a natural fit at a great contract number. For them, this was a no-brainer and good move.

Qian Wu signs with the Trail Blazers for $116,000,000 over 5 years.
Monta
: B
Fortson: B-

Monta: Props on yrtb for bringing back everyone, but Qian Wu might have been a little pricey, but understandable due to him slipping to Day 2. At just 23 years of age, he also represents the only young player who has proven himself to be a productive player. The reigning 6th Man of the Year will probably see a similar role this season, but Portland clearly views him as the future.

Fortson: The Blazers brought back Wu on a big deal and are banking on him big time after the departure of Aguerre. This is a contract where he absolutely needs to live up to his potential in order for it to look good in 5 years. YRTB can’t make every move perfect, and this might be looked at as an error in a few seasons. Nevertheless, he trusted in Wu and is banking on him taking the next step.

Dominic Artis signs with the Heat for $8,043,750 over 3 years.
Monta
: C-
Fortson: F

Monta: Not a fan of Dominic Artis at all, so giving him three years is definitely questionable. The money per year isn’t a problem, and he’s only 24 years of age, but he has not shown the level of improvement worthy of such a multi-year deal.

Fortson: This was an okay looking deal until Artis had a less than ideal TC. The Heat are rumored to be offering him to a taker for free so they’re already having second thoughts. That quick of a regret is never a good thing.

Sir'Dominic Pointer signs with the Heat for $3,922,910 over 2 years.
Monta
Fortson: B+

Monta: Decent young wing for a two-year min. Can’t be too mad at it. Pointer struggles to shoot the ball, but is a solid defender and provides some athleticism that could help in spot minutes.

Fortson: Pointer has always been an overlooked depth piece and is a great addition to the Heat. They continue to add low cost depth pieces as they look to continue their playoff aspirations. For 2 years and at the minimum, a good signing.

Chris Carr signs with the Heat for $2,393,887 over 1 years.
Monta
: A-
Fortson: C

Monta: Chris Carr has shown flashes of scoring ability, but never really had the chance to show off his skillset. After a disappointing season in Dallas, he jumps to Miami where he’ll look to play a larger role.

Fortson: Carr has nice ratings but he’s not a nice player. I can’t hate too much on a 1 year deal so that’s all I’ll say about that.

Andrew White III signs with the Spurs for $9,283,700 over 4 years.
Monta

Monta: White has some upside and is a decent player as he can shoot and defend a little bit. He showed some flashes in preseason, but probably isn’t much more than a rotational big. He is only 24 years of age and for a 4-year discount deal, this is a decent flyer to take.

Fortson: I decided to take a risk here on White after tracking him for a few seasons on the Warriors. He has major turnover problems but has the potential be an effective SG/SF back-up. For $2M+ a year roughly I figured it was worth the risk. The jury is still out on if he is a good player, though.

Anthony Marshall signs with the Clippers for $14,350,000 over 2 years.
Monta
Fortson: B

Monta: Marshall is a perfect glue guy off the bench, as he displayed for the Mavs and Wolves the last two seasons. Marshall is a knockdown shooter and an excellent perimeter defender. While he’ll never be a bigtime scorer, he does all the things teams want out of a backup combo guard.

Fortson: The Clippers add a championship level player as their back-up guard after the loss of Kevin Dillard. Marshall can back-up the PG/SG spot with no issues and defends his position well. He is the type of back-up guard you see on any championship level team.

Rasheed Sulaimon signs with the Pacers for $7,000,000 over 1 years.
Monta
: C
Fortson: D

Monta: Feel like the Pacers could have gotten Rasheed for a lot less, as there’s no real reason anyone would pay him more, unless you’re the Houston Rockets. Sulaimon does one thing well and that’s shoot the ball, but he’s a negative everywhere else on the court.

Fortson: Rasheed has never lived up to his potential but he’ll always be able to shoot the rock. Perhaps the Pacers liked him as a trade filler but I didn’t understand this move. For Beats’ sake, hopefully this works out but I don’t think so.

Alexander Kuhl signs with the Rockets for $4,449,000 over 1 years.
Monta

Monta: Kuhl is ok for a 21-year old 7 footer, but there’s a reason why he was cut from his rookie deal. He’s not very good and probably won’t ever be any good. Decent flyer.

Fortson: Rockets signing filler players hoping they pop in TC. An interesting strategy but at this point I don’t understand it.Rockets signing filler players hoping they pop in TC. An interesting strategy but at this point I don’t understand it.

Nikola Kalinic signs with the Heat for $8,000,000 over 2 years.
Monta
: B-
Fortson: A

Monta: Kalinic on paper looks pretty good, but he has almost no volume despite his ability to stroke it from deep (pause). He’s a decent defender and solid rebounder, but he’s really just a body to space the floor.

Fortson: Nikola is pretty undervalued and the Heat stole him from the Suns fairly cheaply. He’ll likely be asked to back-up the SG/SF and maybe spot start for injuries. At $4M a year and for 2 years this is minimal risk. Big fan of this move.

Tyler Adams signs with the Rockets for $4,449,000 over 1 years.
Monta
: C+

Monta: Adams has shown no signs of living up to his top-10 draft pick status from a few years back, so this is likely one of his last chances at proving anything. That is, unless teams like Houston keep giving him shots.

Fortson: Another filler depth signing TC hopeful run on bigs by the Rockets. Like Kuhl, he didn’t blow up.

Otis Smith signs with the Nets for $4,811,713 over 2 years.
Monta
: C+

Monta: Otis was signed solely to do one thing, defend and rebound the wing positions. However, he’s so bad offensively he likely won’t see much, if any playing time. Feel like giving him the extra year was pointless.

Fortson: Smith is a capable defender but does nothing else. I would’ve been a bigger fan of this deal if it was for 1 year, but 2 years you can’t complain too much. I’ll give Scott a nice grade for this one but he might have to pay someone next season to take him.

Don Nelson signs with the Wizards for $4,449,000 over 1 years.
Monta

Monta: Don Nelson has bounced from team to team playing the same role, but this year could be different as he had a solid training camp. However, in a stacked Washington frontcourt, that may not be the case unless they move on from one of their bigs ahead of him.

Fortson: Nelson’s career looked left for dead a few years ago but he’s suddenly a solid rebounder and decent end of the bench guy. I’m not sure $4.4M roughly is the right number for him but it’s a 1 year deal so can’t hate too much. Contract filler?

Charles Mandic signs with the Hawks for $2,000,000 over 1 years.
Monta

Monta: In hopes of landing tank generals under tank commander Desmond Hubert, Hawks sign the defensive stalwart that is Charles Mandic. This guy is horrendous at basketball, but it’ll pay off as the Hawks try to tank their way to a number one pick. Somehow though, Chicago or New York is gonna get it.

Fortson: Hawks continue building the great tank dynasty of 2040. Can they win 2 again this year?

Randolph Childress signs with the Hawks for $2,000,000 over 1 years.
Monta

Monta: See Charles Mandic.

Fortson: NC the Tank Engine

Wayne Chism signs with the Bulls for $4,907,468 over 2 years.
Monta
Fortson: B

Monta: Wayne Chism played his last good game of his career in Game 7 of round one of last year’s playoffs, where he turned back the clock and looked like the guy Minnesota hoped they were getting when they acquired him. Bulls offered him a multi-year deal, but he has been regressing for 5 years straight, and is barely playable now.

Fortson: Nice depth signing. Josh has long wanted Chism and finally gotten him. We‘ll see how much he has left in the tank but at this number can’t complain.

Quentin Snider signs with the Hawks for $2,000,000 over 1 years.
Monta

Fortson: Silly GM’s, tanks are for Hawks

Swen Nater signs with the Rockets for $12,000,000 over 1 years.
Monta
: D

Monta: I wish the Rockets would just wait till RFA and sign their guys so I wouldn't have to grade these meaningless signings. Nater stinks and isn’t worth 12M at all, but they do this every year.

Fortson: Another salary filler for the Rockets? Nater’s agent has to be happy.

Bojan Tomasevic signs with the 76ers for $25,000,000 over 1 years.
Monta
Fortson: C-

Monta: I get they’re probably trying to flip him to a contender, but nobody wants Bojan at 38 years of age, and signing him at $25M makes him extremely hard to match. I appreciate the hustle, but it likely won’t lead to much of anything.

Fortson: Bojan has to be the highest paid player in league history. After making almost $200M the last 5 seasons he gets another $25M to finish his career a 76er potentially. He’s still a solid big but not worth that figure.

Theo Ratliff signs with the Pelicans for $2,187,847 over 2 years.
Monta
: F

Monta: If this was the Hawks they’d get a B, but the Pelicans are trying to make a championship run and this is just a waste of a roster spot. Ratliff is not good (thanks Donkey) and had no potential to begin with. Signing him for two years is meaningless.

Fortson: Pelicans took a shot on Ratliff as well as Taulava hoping one might pop in TC the next two years. Can’t really hate there.

Asi Taulava signs with the Pelicans for $2,187,847 over 2 years.
Monta

Monta: This one makes more sense as Asi actually has some game. He’ll be a low-risk flyer on a 2nd-round pick.

Fortson: Pelicans took a shot on Ratliff as well as Taulava hoping one might pop in TC the next two years. Can’t really hate there.

Jim Tucker signs with the Hawks for $2,000,000 over 1 years.
Monta
Fortson: T

Fortson: I don’t have any more funny lines for the tank.

Enis Murati signs with the Clippers for $6,865,460 over 2 years.
Monta

Monta: He’s not in LA anymore, but Enis keeps getting chances for no real reason other than it’s cool seeing an unathletic looking European dude give people buckets while getting lit up on the other end of the court. He’s the sim league version of Jamal Crawford minus the highlight reel of handles.

Fortson: Enis is a proven scorer and while he is rumored to have been traded he’ll provide scoring wherever he lands. This is a very fair contract for what be brings.

Richard Parks signs with the Jazz for $6,933,100 over 2 years.
Monta
: B+
Fortson: A

Monta: Parks is a solid scorer, as his ability to finish through contact inside is his best trait. He doesn’t have much of a jumper, and reminds me a lot of Gregg Glenn III. His jump shot isn’t as good, but he is a “walking bucket” as some might like to call him.

Fortson: Parks is a very underrated scorer and the Jazz getting him for 2 years at this number is very overlooked. It’ll be interesting to see if he takes minutes from Gabriel Deck but at the least he’s a nice trade asset. This was a great buy low move and a great move by NoTail. If only he was teammates with Matt Jones.​

yrtb

Wizards
Staff member
Wu was definitely an overpay, but I was worried that other teams would max him. I'm curious as to what the other top offers for him looked like